Rim protector saved me

dishdude

$100 Site Donor 2023
I did something dumb and brushed up against a curb while parking. I got home and expected to see my wheel scuffed up, but to my surprise the rim protector built into the tire saved me! A big thanks to Continental.

Del61gb.jpg

PySNio1.jpg

Good stuff, glad it was just scuffing the rubber sidewall. This on your 2023 Integra?

I had curbed a wheel bad in the Genesis shortly after buying it. I stopped and had to just sit there for a minute before proceeding. Couldn't get out and look yet :ROFLMAO:

Good stuff, glad it was just scuffing the rubber sidewall. This on your 2023 Integra?

Yes, 1200 miles on it so it would have really hurt. It hasn't received it's first scratch just yet...

I had curbed a wheel bad in the Genesis shortly after buying it. I stopped and had to just sit there for a minute before proceeding. Couldn't get out and look yet :ROFLMAO:

Oh I'm on a roll lately, I completely trashed a rental car last week...destroyed the windshield and two rims on it trying to park!

Depending on the implementation and design rim protection can work pretty well. I have to frequently parallel park at night in tight spots. Curb contact happens - you never know when a curb jumps at your wheel.

Last edited:
It also appears you weren't driving too fast either. A rubber lip on a tire is only good for so much protection.
I had curbed a wheel bad in the Genesis shortly after buying it.
My BIL got you beat. On Day #4 of Genesis G80 ownership........
He hit 2 potholes an hour apart and destroyed 2 very expensive wheels and 2 very expensive and stupidly low profile tires.
OK, the stupidity of low profile tires depends on where you live. I'm not saying every low profile tire is stupid....just 97% of them!
He bought the offered tire and wheel insurance....which paid for itself that night.

First thing I did with the Subaru within 10 miles of it was curb a wheel driving through a drivethru. It had steelies so no damage.

Sitting in the car after just curbing a tire/wheel is one of the worst feelings an owner can have. I've spent around $700 on fixes to the Giulia. Low profile tires and dark glossy wheels don't mix.

Back