Ride quality difference in a H rated tire vs a V?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: GC4lunch
My understanding (which may be incorrect) is that in Europe, each vehicle is listed in a database as having a performance rating, and a tire retailer cannot fit a tire to that vehicle that has a speed rating that is less than the vehicle's performance rating.

That's not unlike many tire stores in the United States, except that I believe it's driven more by liability here, and so this rule is thusly somewhat variable from store to store. That is:

1) Some tire stores don't seem to care one way or another and will install whatever you want;
2) Some tire stores will downgrade speed ratings only if you sign a waiver; and,
3) Some tire stores simply will not downgrade speed ratings at all.

For example, my family has bought a number of sets of tires from Sam's Club, including tires that are very much a different size and load rating than OEM (much larger, such as on a Jeep Wrangler). Sam's policy, at least as explained to me, is they will only install tires with a load rating or speed rating at least as high as what came on the car, as company policy.

IF my understanding is correct, then there is a "penalty" (an exclusion of the market for certain vehicles) for a lower speed rating and thus an incentive to affix the highest achievable speed rating to every tire.

Very true. But here again, Michelin has market coverage for those vehicles that take an H or V rated tire (in this case, tires like the Pilot Exalto A/S and Primacy MXV4). They don't need or want to affix a higher speed rating than they intend because their Defender (ostensibly a passenger all season tire) will now self-compete with these other tires in their line. There may also be confusion in customers' heads, perhaps worded exactly as the title of this post is. You may have customers NOT picking the Defender (for example) and buying, say, the Continental ProContact EcoPlus because maybe the Defender passes the V-rated test and gets the V speed rating, and the customer doesn't want a "hard riding" V-rated tire, so chooses what he perceives to be a more segment-appropriate tire from a different brand.

First, all the testing that tire manufacturers do is internal. UTQG testing, Speed Rating testing, etc., is all done at either the tire manufacturer's facility or one they farm out. It is the tire manufacturer's responsibility to assure that the tires they produce pass the government regulations. It is NOT the government's responsibility to test for compliance.

The government MIGHT do testing, but they are only interested in compliance to the regulation and won't test to failure, except as part of a research project of their own.

Because of the sheer volume of tires being produced (that is the combination of brands, tire lines, sizes, and speed ratings), the government physically can't test every combination. They would take a sampling and test for compliance - assuming they do the testing at all.

Tire manufacturers are confronted with a similar, but smaller problem - and they handle the problem similarly. They will test tires that are at the edges - like a large sized, high speed rated tire. If that tire passes the compliance test, then they can be confident that smaller and/or lower speed rated tires will also pass.

But the big point is that tire manufacturers will have a written standard for a construction that covers what each tire needs to be. This would be based on a series of tests that map out what works and what doesn't.

Plus, tire manufacturers will over-design their tires to account for production variation. The amount of over-design, and the type of over-design will, of course, vary.

And to just put a point on this, in order to be sure that the over-design is adequate, the tire manufacturer will test to values BEYOND the speed rating chart. For example, Y is the highest speed rating (unless you count Z, which is open ended!) In order to test a Y speed rated tire to failure, you have to extend the speed rating test in some way. I'm not aware that there are or are not differences in the tests being used (an educated guess would be there are differences!), but a logical guess would be that at least one of these tests would simply be by increasing the speed in a step wise manner just like the compliance test does.

So a Y speed rating tire would ALWAYS pass the 300 kph step, and will fail around, say, the 330 kph step (plus or minus).

And as far as fitting lower speed rated tires to vehicles: Like the US, SOME European countries don't have regulations, but some do.

You have piqued my curiosity. What quirks did you uncover? ....

It has to do with the equipment available in different plants and how that changes the construction. The same tire could have different constructions depending on where it is produced - and by "construction" I mean what would appear on the sidewall.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
.......Am I right or do I not understand it correctly?

I think you have this excatly right.

Originally Posted By: CapriRacer
It has to do with the equipment available in different plants and how that changes the construction. The same tire could have different constructions depending on where it is produced - and by "construction" I mean what would appear on the sidewall.

Would customers who bought a set with mix and match of these different "construction" get into problem if the left / right are not identical?

Originally Posted By: PandaBear

Would customers who bought a set with mix and match of these different "construction" get into problem if the left / right are not identical?

Maybe, but the odds of that happening are pretty much off the scale.

At some point in the distribution the two "streams" of tires would have to wind up in the same store and get put on the same car for this to happen. (More likely you'd like the tires and get less than four more down the road due to a flat or an axle wearing out first.)

This would be like finding a walmart on the mason-dixon line that stocks supertech oil made by XOM and WPP.
wink.gif

I guess check your DOT codes and serial numbers for an obvious break in sequence if you're worried.

Bring 'em in off the car, they'll mount almost anything. You don't even need ot OWN a car to buy tires for your wheels
smile.gif

Last edited:
Have had the V rated Primacy's on for a week. Different tire than the Assurance for sure. each have their good/bad points. Overall please with the V rated Michelin's

Goose

Originally Posted By: eljefino

At some point in the distribution the two "streams" of tires would have to wind up in the same store and get put on the same car for this to happen. (More likely you'd like the tires and get less than four more down the road due to a flat or an axle wearing out first.)

This would be like finding a walmart on the mason-dixon line that stocks supertech oil made by XOM and WPP.
wink.gif

I guess check your DOT codes and serial numbers for an obvious break in sequence if you're worried.

Just to clarify this a bit:

What I meant was that IF there was a difference in construction between 2 plants, it is very, very unlikely that these different constructions would get mixed - BECAUSE - tires tend to get produced at one plant for their entire life - particularly tires of the type we are discussing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back