Ride On Random Stalls

Ride on YTH150 - Husqvarna
Mowing today and I could feel the rpm's start to lower then I turned off the deck/blade and it took the strain off and went for a bit then
stalled out. I got it going again, then same thing. Then wouldn't start. Checked oil, gas and newish battery, terminals were tight. When trying
to start it I could hear the spin of the fly wheel...sounds like it is not catching or not engaging.

Sounds like fuel starvation. Shutting the deck off relieved most of the load and fuel demand. Blow out lines and change fuel filter.

Reactions: 4WD
From what you describe it sounds like it is running out of fuel. There are a few things that immediately come to mind, the gas cap vent, the fuel filter, the fuel pump, and the fuel cut solenoid in the bottom of the carburetor. At your tractor's age, and because of E10 gas, the fuel pump is the prime suspect.

Sounds like fuel starvation. Shutting the deck off relieved most of the load and fuel demand. Blow out lines and change fuel filter.
Happened on my workplace Exmark zero turn. A "glug" of something got into the fuel and plugged the filter up, resulting in symptoms similar to the OP. New fuel filter fixed it and never happened again.

If you're saying it spins differently now-- faster and without compression, it's likely a valve problem.

Pull the fuel line off at the carburetor, crank the engine, and fuel should come out. If it doesn't you have either a plugged fuel filter, bad fuel pump, or bad vacuum hose to the fuel pump. This YouTube will help you.

Test for a lack of fuel issue by putting a little gas or starting fluid in the intake and cranking. If it doesn't fire on that, it's a different problem.

I've had ''winter gas'' vapor lock in my JD 17hp BS motor w/fuel pump on the motor on hot days after running for a while.
Spit and sputter where the symptoms, cool off some and good for a while.
I now try to fill the cans before the fuel changeover occurs. Have no winter starting issues in any of my motors with summer blend fuels.

Back