Ribs

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is your best recipe and/or method for cooking ribs. Beef or Pork. Any cut of rib. Please list any that apply to a good rib dinner.

Dry rub - I mean pack those tender pork ribs with your choice and mixture. Herbs, dry red peppers, chili powders, paprika, dry mustard powder, etc.

Cook long and slow. I mean really slow. 225-250°F.

Smoke of choice.

No sauce slathering until the end, then turn heat up a bit.

I cover them in Worcestire sauce before applying the rub.This helps the rub stick. I also like to wrap them in heavy duty foil for an hour or two after they've been in the smoke for 2-3 hours.This helps them get tender.I try to keep the temps between 200-225.They are done when the meat pulls back around a quarter of an inch or so from the end of the bones.I only cook baby backs on the smoker.Have used apple,cherry, oak and hickory. All add a slightly different taste to them.Happy cooking.

Do a Google search for: rib recipes. Read lots of recipes and then start experimenting with them. Then develop your own recipe.

For some reason my wife, who's an excellent cook with many varied recipes and cookbooks, would never make Southern Fried Chicken or Chicken Fried Steak. A few years ago I developed my own recipes for both and now get a lot of praise for both when I cook them for guests.

If you do not have a smoker, I slow cook in the oven at about 225 for 2-3 hours then finish off on a gas grill.

I use a korean marinade/sauce which is a mixture of hot red bean paste, soy sauce, sugar and a touch of sesame seed oil.

This is the one I've recently developed for our gas grill. I wanted the ease and convenience of gas, but none of that parboiled or steamed or baked bizness where the ribs are "finished" on the grill. These are as tender as what most restaurants serve.

Rotisserie Pork Spare Ribs

On Jenn-Air Gas Grill, 3-burner

Serves 2-3

4-lbs Pork Spareribs

Marinate them (silverskin removed: cut corner, peel off with paper towel) with:

¼-Tbs Stubb's "Wicked Wing Sauce" (Inferno)
¼-Tbs Honey, locally produced
½-Tbs Stubb's BBQ Sauce: (Spicy)
Lightly dust with Angelo's "Pork & Poultry" Rub

2-lbs Hickory chips (chunks preferred); soaked under weights for one-hour plus

FOOD PREPARATION
Enclose tightly in shrink-wrap and refrigerate 24-hours plus.
Wipe off majority of rub/marinade into disposable drip pan (aluminum cookie sheet).

Weave onto rotisserie skewer through about four piercings; use prongs to hold loose ends. Hand-tighten finger bolts along same skewer plane. Allow rotating so that heaviest meat is at “bottom”; tighten counterweight exactly opposite (or, “up”).

GRILL PREPARATION
Remove flame tamers from center and right burners. Remove one grill section and overhead grill rack. Center remaining grill.

Place flame tamers on right burner, one upside down, place hickory chips inside, place other flame tamer over.

Preheat gas grill to 400F, cover closed, by turning on all three main burners to high (will take 20”). Turn off all burners.

Place cookie sheet on grill -- centered in front of infrared burner -- allowing flame tamer cover on right to be removed – when hot – with gloves to add more wood.

Place skewer on grill, with bushings in place. Make sure counterbalance weight is very tight. Tighten skewer bolts with pliers. Turn on motor for a full revolution to ensure meat is not “hanging”; adjust and retighten counterweight.

COOK
Turn on main burner under wood chips to low. Turn on rotisserie burner to high. Turn on rotisserie motor. Check temperature after 15” for an approximate temperature of 300F. (275F is too low; 330F is too high).

Heavy smoke first 45" is desired. Add more soaked chips/chunks at 20-30” if smoke dissipates.

Baste meat with a watered mixture of Stubb’s BBQ sauce at 30” and again at 1-hour.

Remove at 1'30", wrap tightly in foil, and then set on kitchen counter sealed tightly in paper grocery sack for another hour. Serve with the Stubbs BBQ sauce only (lightly warmed).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back