Rhubarb Dessert

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tastes much better than it looks. Pretty tart and refreshing on a hot day.

Plain rhubarb dessert, chilled::

rhubarb2.jpg

Chilled with ice cream and hot vanilla sauce (thin pudding):

rhubarb.jpg

How to make the dessert:

Boil one metric pound peeled and cut rhubarb with 60 g sugar (probably not sweet enough for most Americans -- triple the sugar
wink.gif
) in 0.5 liter fruit juice. You may want to add a little vanilla flavor. When the rhubarb begins breaking down (Looks like the pieces are melting), stir in a little (~ 4 to 5 tablespoons) water or fruit juice that you have mixed with 4 tablespoons corn or tapioca starch. if you boil it too long it will become a goo. You still want the chunks of rhubarb in there. Remove from the heat and pour into bowls that you have rinsed with cold water. Let cool down, then chill.

Strawberries go very well with rhubarb, and you can even cook them together.

Sure, works for me.

I saw huge rhubarb at the market, almost Jurassic in size -- thick as my arm!

We've got a spindly plant at present.

When we get the garden going properly, should have plenty of oxalic acid to keep the snails at bay in other areas...and tasty desserts.

I love rhubarb. My grandparents used to grow it in the sand circles around their vertical concrete pipe flood irrigation in the orange groves. We had rhubarb everything - all the other kids hated it but most would eat strawberry rhubarb if you didn't mention it it had rhubarb! When I live in Lynden my neighbor would cut hers like a weed and throw it away - one day I saw her doing this and said - "huh??" So then I had free source.

Looks good to me - minus the ice cream!
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: Pablo
my neighbor would cut hers like a weed and throw it away

It's a delicious weed!
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back