Review: Griot's Brilliant Finish Synthetic Clay

I've had this for a while, but finally used it. We had a recent road trip and I had a lot of bugs. It had a previous wash, but there were still remnants of bugs. I have some Turtle Wax Bug and Tar Remover, but it's messy, and I didn't like working with it.

This product has the synthetic clay attached to a sponge. It was convenient to be able to carry in the wash bucket.

I started with the headlights because I didn't want to try on paint first. The clay is textured so that you can feel when you are rubbing across something embedded. Once I figured that out, I could zero in on a spot and not waste time on other places. It worked out well. The sponge portion came in handy when I could squeeze a little more lubricant to finish an area. I did the front, the mirrors, the bumper and behind the rear wheels. It did seem to strip the Turtle Wax Seal and Shine, but that's not a big deal.

Sorry for not having any pics, but I ran out of daylight yesterday evening.

This product get a solid A from me.

MOTHERS 2.0 speed clay works just as well. ;)
maxresdefault (1).jpg

I've never used clay and not sure how to, so I bought the Griot's Syn Clay and gave it a try on the trunk and rear of my car. Couldn't tell that it did anything to smooth out the finish. Will give it another try on the hood as it catches more debris and you can feel with your fingers that its not smooth even after spray waxing.

I like the product. I bought mine at Autozone and avoided shipping costs. I think the cost is worth it considering it's only used once o twice per vehicle each year.

I've never used clay and not sure how to, so I bought the Griot's Syn Clay and gave it a try on the trunk and rear of my car. Couldn't tell that it did anything to smooth out the finish. Will give it another try on the hood as it catches more debris and you can feel with your fingers that its not smooth even after spray waxing.
I'd say something is wrong with your technique/application. When done correctly the difference before and after should be quite dramatic.

Just wondering. Has anyone ever tried melamine sponges on their cars to remove bugs? You know the ones, normally sold as Mr. Clean Magic Erasers. I noticed in Publix the other day that they sell a "heavy duty" version of them too now.

I wouldn't be afraid to try them on the windshield, but am a bit leary of using one on the paint. I'm pretty sure they would remove most waxes, but not sure if they would scrtch the paint or not. I know that they are slightly abrasive, but only mildly so.

Just wondering. Has anyone ever tried melamine sponges on their cars to remove bugs? You know the ones, normally sold as Mr. Clean Magic Erasers. I noticed in Publix the other day that they sell a "heavy duty" version of them too now.

I wouldn't be afraid to try them on the windshield, but am a bit leary of using one on the paint. I'm pretty sure they would remove most waxes, but not sure if they would scrtch the paint or not. I know that they are slightly abrasive, but only mildly so.

You have good reason to be cautious. Stick with a clay product for your auto body.

Back