Review: '21 Suburban Z71 (14,574 miles/6 weeks)

@Falcon_LS In the '21+, AFM has become DFM. So instead of it going into 4 cylinder mode with AFM, DFM can drop all the way down to a single cylinder. DFM has not been decontented at any point during the chip shortage, so the fact that you thought you didn't have it when it did is a testament to how imperceptible it is. :) They have removed the auto start/stop feature due to chip shortages, though.

I had a 2021 Tahoe for 14 months and 14k miles. It was a High Country with a 6.2. It was great and we loved it, but needed the longer wheel base version. So, we just picked up a '22 Yukon XL AT4, also with the 6.2. The 6.2 combined with the 10 speed make these barges actually feel somewhat quick.

@Falcon_LS In the '21+, AFM has become DFM. So instead of it going into 4 cylinder mode with AFM, DFM can drop all the way down to a single cylinder. DFM has not been decontented at any point during the chip shortage, so the fact that you thought you didn't have it when it did is a testament to how imperceptible it is. :) They have removed the auto start/stop feature due to chip shortages, though.

I had a 2021 Tahoe for 14 months and 14k miles. It was a High Country with a 6.2. It was great and we loved it, but needed the longer wheel base version. So, we just picked up a '22 Yukon XL AT4, also with the 6.2. The 6.2 combined with the 10 speed make these barges actually feel somewhat quick.
The vehicle I had was definitely equipped with auto start/stop, as well as wireless charging, which they also removed due to chip shortages at one point. Pretty confusing about DFM though; I would've thought average fuel economy would've been a heck of a lot better than 18.4 - 21.6 MPG if it could drop down to one cylinder! :D

Congratulations on the Yukon! I'm glad they finally made the 6.2L available on the Z71/AT4 versions; the Z71 I had was equipped with the 5.3L, which was the only available option up until they changed it.

Being so involved with these trucks from the design and launch to building them it is nice to see people liking them so much!

Can you do a 3-point U-Turn without taking your eyes off the road in heavy traffic? IE can you shift it D-R-D by feel or do you have to stare at the shifter buttons? You sure can't shift by feel with RAM's rotary knob. All these new shifting ideas ... when some are not exactly well thought out.

Can you do a 3-point U-Turn without taking your eyes off the road in heavy traffic? IE can you shift it D-R-D by feel or do you have to stare at the shifter buttons? You sure can't shift by feel with RAM's rotary knob. All these new shifting ideas ... when some are not exactly well thought out.
I didn't design the shifter but I agree it is a bit alkward at 1st use. I own a RAM and have no issues using the rotorary knob because it functions in the same order as a regular shifter. I don't like columns shifters at all - but I would prefer a floor shifter as my 1st choice.

I have been reading/reviewing some very good opinions and tests on the new GM's...Tahoe, Yukon & Escalade as well as the XLs

I have been reading/reviewing some very good opinions and tests on the new GM's...Tahoe, Yukon & Escalade as well as the XLs

We've loved ours so far. 14k on the Tahoe without issue. 150 miles on the Yukon without issue. :ROFLMAO:

Our Tahoe is currently for sale at this dealership if you're interested... :)

To show how crazy the market is, the sticker on it was $82k. We paid $77k before taxes. On November 10, we traded it into the GMC dealer for $77k. Guessing realistic market value for it is $82-85k right now.

Here's the new ride. Pretty much fully loaded for an AT4. Just missing a few options (2nd row buckets, sliding center console, and exterior lighting package). Has most of the other major options - 6.2, adaptive air suspension, enhanced off road capabilites package, max tow package, etc etc. Two somewhat major features missing that the Tahoe had are adaptive cruise and the rear view mirror camera/screen. The adaptive cruise is nice on the highway when there's a little traffic and speeds change. My wife really liked the rearview mirror/screen, but I never used it.

We were lucky to find it and buy it - especially at *only* msrp...

1638882525836.png

Last edited:
Yes, you can. Performing a J-turn would be a bit more challenging, however, until you get really used to it. Personally, I find it easier with an actual column shifter, but that is just me.

The vehicle I had was definitely equipped with auto start/stop, as well as wireless charging, which they also removed due to chip shortages at one point. Pretty confusing about DFM though; I would've thought average fuel economy would've been a heck of a lot better than 18.4 - 21.6 MPG if it could drop down to one cylinder! :D

Congratulations on the Yukon! I'm glad they finally made the 6.2L available on the Z71/AT4 versions; the Z71 I had was equipped with the 5.3L, which was the only available option up until they changed it.
Big girl likes to eat. 18.4-21.6 is pretty good, IMO, though! They say it can drop down to 1 cylinder, but not sure how many situations that actually becomes feasible. Keep your foot in it and it will stay at 8 most of the time, probably. :cool:

Our Tahoe averaged 16.7 over just under 13k tracked miles. Not much city driving, but quite a bit of 80+ on the interstate.
1638883077622.jpg

What does it cost to rent such an expensive vehicle for this extended time/mileage? I'm guessing a lot, but less than buying and selling the same vehicle after taxes and such.

If anyone is looking at the 3.0L Diesel option: FORGET IT!

Sadly GM didn't get the "What could possibly go wrong?" over complicated coolant valve system right. It goes into limp mode Monday, GM dealer service gets to it on Thursday and can't duplicate the problem. My service advisor said to wait for a later model year if I insisted on a Diesel.

GM may have done a decent Diesel with the 6.6L Isuzu Duramax, but, the 3.0L Diesel has the worst technology available: chains and a wet drive oil pump belt. (Most HD diesels use gears.) Ask Audi how the wet belt worked out... GM has some trouble with timing chains on gasoline engines as you well know. These, chains and belt, are on the rear of the Diesel engine and you would swap them out when the transmission wears out. If they make it that long.

The only thing done right on the 3.0L is it doesn't use a CP4 injection pump.

The engine is already at it's power limit due to cooling. Typical of GM Diesels: Can't keep them cool.

You loose oil pressure if the belt should break and the engine may run hot per the engineer who designed the engine. No. The engine will be scrap metal from loosing oil pressure at speed and under load. 'We used the belt due to noise' they say ... even though there are two other chains right by it. Sure you did: Can't say Beancounter cheap can you? Typical GM attitude toward Diesel engines. No GM, you haven't been able to Beancounter design your own Diesel since the Oldsmobile 5.7 Diesel put Lemon Laws on the books.

Service intro info bulletin

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: GON
I used this button quite often on my rental Audi Q5. I feel because LED headlights are becoming such a standard they have "engineered" their need for separate fog lights out.

It was a separate lens & LED's inside the headlight to mimic the fog lighting pattern. It did well in bad weather IMO

Attachments

• bg2b.jpg
    bg2b.jpg
    166.9 KB · Views: 10
Big girl likes to eat. 18.4-21.6 is pretty good, IMO, though! They say it can drop down to 1 cylinder, but not sure how many situations that actually becomes feasible. Keep your foot in it and it will stay at 8 most of the time, probably. :cool:

Our Tahoe averaged 16.7 over just under 13k tracked miles. Not much city driving, but quite a bit of 80+ on the interstate.
View attachment 80313
They definitely do! I used cruise control a lot, and especially in a place like FL where it's mostly flat terrain, that was what I averaged as well. I was comparing the gas mileage to what I got in the previous generation Yukon XL/Suburbans I've driven prior. I was able to get around 28 MPG with those, which was phenomenal for a vehicle this size! Then again, AFM does have its issues as the vehicle ages so it's one trade off for another.

What does it cost to rent such an expensive vehicle for this extended time/mileage? I'm guessing a lot, but less than buying and selling the same vehicle after taxes and such.
About $4,000 based on number of days and not mileage.

It was definitely worthwhile, and I enjoyed every moment of it. When you add up the gas (especially in CA), hotel and food bills, it definitely adds up, but this is something I would do again in a heartbeat. In fact, I'm already planning my next road trip a couple of months from now! :D

Back