Review: '21 Suburban Z71 (14,574 miles/6 weeks)

PSX-20211021-222301.jpg

Been MIA for a while, since I was home on vacation and being a huge fan of full-size GM SUVs, this is what I got to drive.

PSX-20211021-221533.jpg

The variant I had was a 2021 Suburban Z71 with the 5.3L V8 and 10L80 transmission. This is a very smooth drivetrain, but for better (long term ownership) or for worse (gas mileage), AFM was decontented. I assume this was mostly due to the chip shortage. This vehicle was also equipped with auto start/stop, but I disabled that on every drive because I honestly find it annoying.

PSX-20211021-221857.jpg

At first glance, there's no denying this truck has a presence. I really like the blackout treatment and overall looks/design. The front had LED headlamps and DRLs, but I found it strange that they had done away with foglamps. Regardless, it had a nice, aggressive look to it up front – especially with the blacked-out grille and silver skid plate on the bottom. On the rear, unlike the GMC Yukon XL, the Suburban had regular incandescent bulbs except for the parking lights. Considering the taillight problems that plagued the previous generation of the Yukon, I see this as a plus.

PSX-20211021-221815.jpg

Being a Z71 model, this truck came with air suspension on all four corners, and I thought that was just the coolest thing ever. When you’re stepping out of the truck, it would lower itself and you’d hear the air being let out of the airbags just like a semi. Put it in off road mode, and you instantly get a 2” lift! The downside is, there were no running boards so getting in and out for some people could be a challenge, unless you install your own.

PSX-20211021-221715.jpg

All the panels fit nicely together, there are no big gaps between any of the panels and the paint quality was really good; that clearcoat was shiny! Opening and closing the doors, it really felt more like you were shutting a vault; something you don’t really find on many vehicles these days. It felt solid. The rear quarter panels felt a bit “plasticy” and sounded pretty hallow when you tap, but that’s pretty common on almost any car these days.

PSX-20211021-221215.jpg

On the inside, GM has really upped their game where quality of materials is concerned. The scuff plates, front seat surround trim and the lower part of the center console are still pretty hard plastic, so that’s still there, but the rest of the interior had soft touch materials and there were zero rattles or any other annoyances. I do wish they retained the cupholders in the doors, like the outgoing model had, but you gain some, you lose some.

PSX-20211021-221251.jpg

PSX-20211021-221400.jpg

While I don’t mind push button start, I wasn’t exactly a fan of the push button transmission or electronic parking brake. Give me a good old fashioned column shifter and foot operated parking brake any day of the week, but I can understand them trying to stay abreast of the competition. Power adjustable pedals seems to be another feature that was decontented.

As far as driving is concerned, the truck did feel a bit on the heavy side with a 3.42 rear axle ratio and P275/60R20 Goodyear off road tires running 38 PSI. That said, the ride was smooth as butter, quiet and it rode like a Suburban should. Despite feeling a bit on the heavy side, power was definitely there when you needed it, especially driving up mountains.

Of course, with the independent rear suspension setup, handling is significantly better than the outgoing model. I’m not a fan mostly due to all the extra parts involved that will wear out and require replacement down the line, but there is no denying its improvement over the solid rear axle that used to be there. Then again, my own experiences with IRS is based on my ’03 Ford Expedition that’s now long gone. Hopefully, design wise, this is more rugged and durable than that was.

Driving at night was a breeze; automatic high beams and rain-sensing wipers come in pretty handy. The LED headlights really light up the road, so much of the time, high beams weren’t even necessary.

PSX-20211022-113446.jpg

This vehicle also had the optional gauge cluster with the screen in the middle, which was also a nice touch with a lot of information right at your fingertips: engine oil life, air filter life, front/rear brake pad life, ATF temperature, MPG info and following distance in seconds to name a few.

PSX-20211021-222057.jpg

The infotainment system was awesome, as was the sound system. I had zero issues with Android Auto for both navigation and music. Wireless charging was also another neat feature. The truck also had lane keep assist, and park assist with a bird’s eye view that made maneuvering a breeze even in the tightest of spots.

Verdict: I was considering one once I move back to the States, and that certainly hasn’t changed. This truck certainly did not disappoint, and gets two thumbs up from me; although I’ll probably opt for the diesel variant, if not the 6.2L with RWD only.

Nice review. My wife’s Z71 has 8,000 on it so far. It’s odd that yours didn’t have the running boards. They are standard on the Z71. Was this a rental that someone poached them from possibly? Ours has auto stop-start. The only thing I’d change is I’d get the 6.2 now that you can opt for that I believe.
C0E313B1-B69D-4F83-B460-18AA6F63FF5D.jpeg

PSX-20211021-222301.jpg

Been MIA for a while, since I was home on vacation and being a huge fan of full-size GM SUVs, this is what I got to drive.

PSX-20211021-221533.jpg

The variant I had was a 2021 Suburban Z71 with the 5.3L V8 and 10L80 transmission. This is a very smooth drivetrain, but for better (long term ownership) or for worse (gas mileage), AFM was decontented. I assume this was mostly due to the chip shortage. This vehicle was also equipped with auto start/stop, but I disabled that on every drive because I honestly find it annoying.

PSX-20211021-221857.jpg

At first glance, there's no denying this truck has a presence. I really like the blackout treatment and overall looks/design. The front had LED headlamps and DRLs, but I found it strange that they had done away with foglamps. Regardless, it had a nice, aggressive look to it up front – especially with the blacked-out grille and silver skid plate on the bottom. On the rear, unlike the GMC Yukon XL, the Suburban had regular incandescent bulbs except for the parking lights. Considering the taillight problems that plagued the previous generation of the Yukon, I see this as a plus.

PSX-20211021-221815.jpg

Being a Z71 model, this truck came with air suspension on all four corners, and I thought that was just the coolest thing ever. When you’re stepping out of the truck, it would lower itself and you’d hear the air being let out of the airbags just like a semi. Put it in off road mode, and you instantly get a 2” lift! The downside is, there were no running boards so getting in and out for some people could be a challenge, unless you install your own.

PSX-20211021-221715.jpg

All the panels fit nicely together, there are no big gaps between any of the panels and the paint quality was really good; that clearcoat was shiny! Opening and closing the doors, it really felt more like you were shutting a vault; something you don’t really find on many vehicles these days. It felt solid. The rear quarter panels felt a bit “plasticy” and sounded pretty hallow when you tap, but that’s pretty common on almost any car these days.

PSX-20211021-221215.jpg

On the inside, GM has really upped their game where quality of materials is concerned. The scuff plates, front seat surround trim and the lower part of the center console are still pretty hard plastic, so that’s still there, but the rest of the interior had soft touch materials and there were zero rattles or any other annoyances. I do wish they retained the cupholders in the doors, like the outgoing model had, but you gain some, you lose some.

PSX-20211021-221251.jpg

PSX-20211021-221400.jpg

While I don’t mind push button start, I wasn’t exactly a fan of the push button transmission or electronic parking brake. Give me a good old fashioned column shifter and foot operated parking brake any day of the week, but I can understand them trying to stay abreast of the competition. Power adjustable pedals seems to be another feature that was decontented.

As far as driving is concerned, the truck did feel a bit on the heavy side with a 3.42 rear axle ratio and P275/60R20 Goodyear off road tires running 38 PSI. That said, the ride was smooth as butter, quiet and it rode like a Suburban should. Despite feeling a bit on the heavy side, power was definitely there when you needed it, especially driving up mountains.

Of course, with the independent rear suspension setup, handling is significantly better than the outgoing model. I’m not a fan mostly due to all the extra parts involved that will wear out and require replacement down the line, but there is no denying its improvement over the solid rear axle that used to be there. Then again, my own experiences with IRS is based on my ’03 Ford Expedition that’s now long gone. Hopefully, design wise, this is more rugged and durable than that was.

Driving at night was a breeze; automatic high beams and rain-sensing wipers come in pretty handy. The LED headlights really light up the road, so much of the time, high beams weren’t even necessary.

PSX-20211022-113446.jpg

This vehicle also had the optional gauge cluster with the screen in the middle, which was also a nice touch with a lot of information right at your fingertips: engine oil life, air filter life, front/rear brake pad life, ATF temperature, MPG info and following distance in seconds to name a few.

PSX-20211021-222057.jpg

The infotainment system was awesome, as was the sound system. I had zero issues with Android Auto for both navigation and music. Wireless charging was also another neat feature. The truck also had lane keep assist, and park assist with a bird’s eye view that made maneuvering a breeze even in the tightest of spots.

Verdict: I was considering one once I move back to the States, and that certainly hasn’t changed. This truck certainly did not disappoint, and gets two thumbs up from me; although I’ll probably opt for the diesel variant, if not the 6.2L with RWD only.
What was the gas mileage on it? An odd question given the heft of a 'Burb but curious.

I was wondering when / if they were going to go independent rear suspension on the Suburban / Tahoe trucks.

Is this yours or was it a rental?

I've had my 21 escalade esv for 366 days but i dont like it enough to daily drive over the yukon xl denali since its a much more comfortable and better driving truck. it only gets driven on occasion and its barely got 4k miles on it.

I was wondering when / if they were going to go independent rear suspension on the Suburban / Tahoe trucks.

i honestly don't like that these new BoF gm suvs like my 21 escalade have independent rear suspension. its a gm the shafts are gonna leak and if I'm being honest it doesn't really handle better than my straight axle 05 and it drives worse over the bumps. That's considering it has fatter tires on its small looking 22 inch rims.

Nice review. My wife’s Z71 has 8,000 on it so far. It’s odd that yours didn’t have the running boards. They are standard on the Z71. Was this a rental that someone poached them from possibly? Ours has auto stop-start. The only thing I’d change is I’d get the 6.2 now that you can opt for that I believe.View attachment 75170
Yes, this was a rental. Strange about the running boards, I really did wonder about that. Maybe they were removed prior to putting the vehicle in service?

The 5.3L wasn't underpowered per say, but with the bigger tire and wheel package, the extra weight with the IRS and the same axle ratio, I guess it just lacked the "peppiness" of its predecessor with the same engine. Then again, no complaints because it handled all the mountainous terrain like an absolute champ.

What was the gas mileage on it? An odd question given the heft of a 'Burb but curious.
18.4 - 21.6 MPG depending on terrain. With AFM, I was able to get 28 MPG on the previous generation, but again, you don't go out and get a 'Burban for gas mileage. ;)

Rental. This has always been my vehicle of choice when I fly back, so I have driven multiple generations of GM full-size SUVs. :)

i honestly don't like that these new BoF gm suvs like my 21 escalade have independent rear suspension. its a gm the shafts are gonna leak and if I'm being honest it doesn't really handle better than my straight axle 05 and it drives worse over the bumps. That's considering it has fatter tires on its small looking 22 inch rims.
From my experience, having driven armored variants of these trucks, as well as many different generations, comparing a GMT 800 to a GMT T1XX is like comparing apples to oranges. They bear the same name, but they are complete different animals. Even going from a GMT 900 to a GMT K2XX was quite a difference.

From a maintenance and durability perspective, I completely agree that the GMT 800 has proven itself time and time again, and I can definitely vouch for that - hands down. But from a handling perspective, there is definitely a noticeable difference between the two. Steering feel is different, the firmness of the suspension is quite different and there's much less body lean when cornering. They've certainly made the new generation handle a lot more like a car than a full-size SUV.

That being said, the one thing I completely forgot to mention in my original post; the brakes. They are very grabby and give you that feeling of confidence that I felt was lacking before with very little to no fade. Pedal feel was also right on. The K2XX was a definite improvement, but the T1XX is a heck of a lot better.

Im on the fence on the 3.0 dmax. On paper the engine is exceptional but I have been part of the Silverado/Sierra 1500 Duramax group on FB for probably close to 2 years now and they are definitely not trouble free.

While I personally appreciate your review- it would have been more appropriate in this forum if it had 200,000 miles on it and cost 5 grand since this is the vehicle many on BITOG gravitate to when they are " very used".

Back