Reusing Fresh Coolant

I found a good use for old coolant. All the gallons I've dumped over the years.

Used by itself it's a good wood preservative. Mix in Borax and it's also a insect repellant.

In our (now totaled) Santa Fe (RIP...moment of silence....and done.)

Did a complete flush and fill of coolant system at 100K. At 103K, starter died. When changing it out, you have to remove one of the coolant hoses that runs right in front of the bolts for the starter. (The hose turned to dust as I was taking it off, but that's for another thread.)

Had to drain quite a bit of fluid to avoid a big mess. I used a couple of VERY clean buckets to catch the fluid. It all came out looking extremely clean. When job was done, it went right back in.

Car was totaled at 168K, no issues with reusing the coolant.

I found a good use for old coolant. All the gallons I've dumped over the years.

Used by itself it's a good wood preservative. Mix in Borax and it's also a insect repellant.
Funny you should mention this. A guy I served with, when he puts up wooden fences, lets the treated wood dry for about 6-8 weeks. Then he paints it with....ATF. He swears by it.

Funny you should mention this. A guy I served with, when he puts up wooden fences, lets the treated wood dry for about 6-8 weeks. Then he paints it with....ATF. He swears by it.
You can buy a high dollar wood fungicide/insecticide meant for pretreating or in place. But all it is is concentrated glycol and borax that you dilute.

Mine seems to be ok, but I've heard this part often contributes to a leak.

The beauty of BMW is being able to choose if you want OE, OEM, or aftermarket. I often go OEM for savings. Here, all 3 alternatives are in fact aftermarket, not OEM, so I would go OE if it were me...

The local junkyard takes old coolant and windshield washer fluid from their vehicles and rebottles it for $2/jug. I'm surprised people actually buy that.
Maybe they are forced to remove & drain the products you mention to not pollute. And figure while they have it out minds well sell and make some $$. Disposal might cost them so even selling for $2 seems like a good way to handle it.

Do they sell the oil also?

I've reused it a couple times. The sediment settled to the bottom so I just poured slowly towards the end, leaving it in the bucket.

Back