Reusing Fresh Coolant

Last year I drained the entire cooling system (including the block) of my 3-series. I filled it up with OE BMW coolant. This year, I replaced most of the parts in the cooling system except for the radiator and again put in ~ 2 fresh gallons of a 50/50 mix OE coolant and distilled water. It looks like the radiator now has a very small leak so I'm planning to replace that shortly. It has a 2010 build date, so I probably should've just replaced it with everything else to begin with (oh well, live and learn).

Considering the current coolant has maybe 60 miles, it seem pretty wasteful to just dump the now 2nd run of fresh coolant when I replace the radiator. I have another unopened gallon of coolant, but I am considering draining the coolant into a clean container to reuse.

Anyone reuse "fresh" coolant? Any favorite techniques? Reading online a bit someone had recommended using an old shirt as a filter. I have some coffee filters that (might) work well. Maybe filtering is unnecessary if the container is clean?

I reuse coolant all the time. Doesn’t have to be super filtered but get it as good as you can

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I will go ahead and reuse it. I did a lot of cleaning with brake parts cleaner (so leaks would be obvious) so the coolant shouldn't pick up too much debris during the draining process. I will probably end up using a filter while draining and then another while refilling for good measure.

I’d be more worried about the container you’re putting It in rather than actually filtering what comes out. Unless you’re talking about filtering it when you pour it from the container? All that pouring and filtering I imagine would lead to spillage. At least I know I’d spill it. 🤣🤣🤣

I’d be more worried about the container you’re putting It in rather than actually filtering what comes out. Unless you’re talking about filtering it when you pour it from the container? All that pouring and filtering I imagine would lead to spillage. At least I know I’d spill it. 🤣🤣🤣
🤣 Very true - despite trying to be very careful I ended up spilling more than I had anticipated!

🤣 Very true - despite trying to be very careful I ended up spilling more than I had anticipated!
When doing stuff like that, including taking used oil to where I take it to, I do the pouring into another container inside a big plastic bin, so if I spill it, I'm only spilling it into a plastic container. It's usually much easier to clean up the inside of a plastic bin than your floor.

When doing stuff like that, including taking used oil to where I take it to, I do the pouring into another container inside a big plastic bin, so if I spill it, I'm only spilling it into a plastic container. It's usually much easier to clean up the inside of a plastic bin than your floor.
That's a great idea! Thanks for the suggestion.

Back