Reusing Filters

There have been a few threads about people re-using oil filters, and by that I mean removing them, dumping out the old oil, and re-installing them.

Personally I don't see the point, as you risk compromising the o-ring which has already been compressed to the block surface once, and you really gain nothing by dumping out at most 3/4 quart of oil if using a larger filter. Just spend the extra few dollars and use a filter above the bottom tier of jobber filters and you will be fine, with less chance of issues.

"Rinsing out" a filter is a great way to get diesel fuel in your oil system, which can cause other issues. This is concerning regular automotive style filters. You are overthinking it. Either use extended filters, or change it more frequently.

I'm happy to report that my Civic is dancing a jig, after receiving fresh oil...despite having to endure the use of a second hand filter. The kids at school are all teasing my poor car over having to economize on its filter, much like having to eat a bologna sandwich, instead of all the kool kids, who get prime rib. It's all good, though. Things that don't kill us, just make us stronger!

Last edited:
I've never thought about it, change the oil and you change the filter. it simple and cheap. scotty says oil is cheap and engines are expensive. lol

Back