Reusing Filters

Any reason why you can't clean an old filter with diesel and reuse it?
Sounds like a bad idea imo.

Its probably better to use a high capacity high efficiency wire backed filter and leave it on the engine for 2 oil drain intervals, saving you the hassle. Some people here have done that if you search some threads on it.

why? The "seal" is a donut of rubber.
The nitrile rubber base gasket on a filter takes a permanent set after being on the hot engine over an OCI. Compare the gasket on a used filter to the gasket on a new filter.

The nitrile rubber base gasket on a filter takes a permanent set after being on the hot engine over an OCI. Compare the gasket on a used filter to the gasket on a new filter.

I'll let you know if it leaks. Only I won't, because it won't leak. The seal is something like 3mm thick, and not indented anywhere.

BTW, I reuse by oil drain screw crusher washer over and over again, also. Never a leak.

You must be of Scottish decent. I can't believe anyone would take a chance re-using a filter. Way too many things could go wrong. For one, the oil flow will be more restrictive from contaminants (And washing won't get it out), second the gasket might leak or blow out resulting in serious engine damage.
For $4-5 ? So you save a small, SMALL amount of money that could result in mistake costing thousands? No thanks.........

AKA Mobil 2. I had a friend who did that, took the oil out of his Porsche and put it in his Buick.
I had a neighbor with an old RX-3 Mazda rotary that went through oil like crazy. He always wanted my used oil for that thing. I always cleaned the drain pan well before draining so the oil wasn't contaminated with dirt, etc. Saved trips to the oil recycling place.

I had a neighbor with an old RX-3 Mazda rotary that went through oil like crazy. He always wanted my used oil for that thing. I always cleaned the drain pan well before draining so the oil wasn't contaminated with dirt, etc. Saved trips to the oil recycling place.
Not to turn this into a one-upmanship, but in college there was this guy who had some sort of car that had been brush painted green and had a checkerboard printed vinyl top with huge rust bubbles underneath. He commuted to school and had cases of K-Mart oil in the trunk for his 20-mile trip one-way. He'd have to put a quart of oil in the car in twice a day to make the round trip. Sometimes he would stay in the dorms over a weekend, and if he drove to the bars he'd have to add a quart at some point.

Not to turn this into a one-upmanship, but in college there was this guy who had some sort of car that had been brush painted green and had a checkerboard printed vinyl top with huge rust bubbles underneath. He commuted to school and had cases of K-Mart oil in the trunk for his 20-mile trip one-way. He'd have to put a quart of oil in the car in twice a day to make the round trip. Sometimes he would stay in the dorms over a weekend, and if he drove to the bars he'd have to add a quart at some point.
Probably not many mosquitoes on campus

Back