Resurrected 2000 WeedEater Barricuda LeafBlower

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wanted to post my excitement as my sig says, I'm a software engineer so doing mechanical things isn't my area of expertise.

Anyway, all my years growing up at my parents (I'm 24), we always used this 2000/2001 WeedEater Barricuda Leaf Blower and it worked great. Then about 7-8 years ago it stopped working (wouldn't start) and so my dad stored it and bought a poulan.

It's been sitting all that time and as I was moving out (I bought a house) this year, I asked if I could have it as a project. I figured I may as well replace the carb and sparkplug. But this is a 2000 leaf blower, how am I gonna find the right carb? I tracked the manufacturer and part number of the carb; discontinued. Crap.

So I took a shot on Amazon, and eyeballed a couple carbs and I ended up buying this super cheap $14 carb with fuel line, two fuel filters, carb gaskets and spark plug.

Well I finally replaced the spark plug, replaced the fuel lines today and fuel filter. And the carb actually fit! The connection from the speed lever to the piece that manages the butterfly valve (is that correct?) happened to fit, not as good as the old carb but 97% I'd say.

The fuel tank's gas and return line hoses were smaller than the lines I were given so I shimmed just enough of the tank's holes to force them in the tank. I buttoned up just enough to run the leaf blower but if I had to adjust the carb, I wouldn't have to take everything apart.

Moment of Truth, primed it, set the choke, and pulled about 10-15 times, and then BAM, it fired right up and was running very good, didn't even half to run it at half choke! Nothing needed adjusted (hi and lo of the carburetor) from what I could hear messing with the speed lever.

Now I have a backup leaf blower incase my poulan craps the bed! It turned out to be really simple job
smile.gif

Last edited:
Nice work! I just finished reviving a 1998 Weed Eater brand hedge trimmer. Was able to find the exact carb for in on amazon using the ZAMA p/n off the old carb.

Originally Posted by nwjones18
Nice work! I just finished reviving a 1998 Weed Eater brand hedge trimmer. Was able to find the exact carb for in on amazon using the ZAMA p/n off the old carb.

Nice! It gives me a good feeling being able to reuse something instead of just throwing them away

I have one of the same brand but its electric, still works but need to make sure to wear hearing protection..it is loud!

Originally Posted by Rolla07
I have one of the same brand but its electric, still works but need to make sure to wear hearing protection..it is loud!

Oh yeah it's loud! And I started it in the garage which is a giant echo chamber.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back