Resturant pricing up

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
Wolf,

Doesn't the CV mutate ?
If so, how effective will the vaccine be to the various strains of CV ?

The country has to reopen hopefully soon.

The mutation is very minor. They've examined several strains of it and none of it seems like its too far off so a vaccine should still work. Unknowns are the dosages. If you look at the clinical trials of one of the phase 1 studies, they're testing 3 dosages, a 25 mcg, 100 mcg and 250 mcg across 3 different age groups.

https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT04283461

And maybe contract tracing will keep the infection rates down. There's a free online course about it.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/heal...rmy-contact-tracers-you-can-take-it-too/

https://www.coursera.org/learn/covid-19-contact-tracing

Originally Posted by AC1DD
Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Originally Posted by Wolf359
The chains are more likely to survive as they have easier access to capital, but I won't be surprised if some of them go under as some have loaded up on too much debt. All those local restaurants may go under as they still have overhead to pay such as rent that may not get discounted and they may never be able to make it up.

Announced on the news yesterday, Steak 'n Shake is closing almost (60) locations. Not sure where all they have locations but they're based in Indianapolis and there are quite a few restaurants all around here. So even the 'bigger' chains aren't immune.

Wendy's stores ran out of ground beef a couple of weeks ago....I truly don't think most people know how dire things are going to get in the next six months.
The fast food industry is going to shrink dramatically. Most of the lower priced dine in places will probably go out of business entirely.

People are really losing their minds now about minor things. It will be ugly at the same time next year.

This could ruin EVERY independent restaurant in the country. No, that is not hyperbole. They run on razor-thin margins...and two or three MONTHS closed will kill most of them.

Wolf,

Doesn't the CV mutate ?

There are no vaccines for any coronavirus. There will be no vaccine for this one.

Lots of small businesses will go under.

It's not easy to own and run a restaurant with thin profit margins.

True enough, I can't solve their problems but my thoughts and prayers go out to anyone that operates an honest small business today. I can't imagine how hard it will be to operate any public facing business in the future.

Well... one of the local coffee shops just closed their doors, between the issues of figuring out spacing and then the various liabilities, they decided... no more.
frown.gif

I'm starting to think this is only the beginning.
frown.gif

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/12/investing/jobs-coronavirus-consumer-spending-debt/index.html

Americans are slashing their spending, hoarding cash and shrinking their credit card debt as they fear their jobs could disappear during the coronavirus pandemic.

US credit card debt suddenly reversed course in March and fell by the largest percentage in more than 30 years. At the same time, savings rates climbed to levels unseen since Ronald Reagan was in the White House.

The dramatic shifts in consumer behavior reflect the unprecedented turmoil in the US economy caused by the pandemic. Although caution is a logical response to that uncertainty, hunkering down also poses a risk to the recovery in an economy dominated by consumer spending. A so-called V-shaped recovery can't happen if consumers are sitting on the sidelines.

Originally Posted by Jarlaxle
Wolf,

Doesn't the CV mutate ?

There are no vaccines for any coronavirus. There will be no vaccine for this one.

There's only a few coronavirus out there which is why this is called sars-cov2. Normally vaccines take 10-20 years to make. After SARS went away, they never finished work on a vaccine. In theory had that happened, it might have worked for this one. But that's short term thinking for you. It's actually part of the reason why they've been able to work on it so quickly so to speak, a lot of it had been in the pipeline but was abandoned so they were able to pick up where they had stopped before. The mRNA one looks good, but there's never been an mRNA vaccine on the market.

Also technically you're wrong, there IS a vaccine now. That's the one in testing. Will there be a safe and effective one that can be widely deployed? Well, that's the unknown.

Wolf359 said:
. Even if there was something you'd be getting dozens of shots every year and they would kill you instead.

I'm not sure what this means or what you were trying to imply. I don't know of any vaccine that has a 100% death rate that's been deployed. A typical stage 3 trial takes about a year, but in theory that could be cut short through an emergency authorization. There's already about 16k people who've signed up for challenge trials where part of the testing would be deliberate infection. Cowards need not apply I guess.

My full post got cut off somehow,

I was referring to the fact that with all the mutations already present of this you could never make one that will protect you against all of them, you'd need dozens of shots every year.

My full post got cut off somehow,

I was referring to the fact that with all the mutations already present of this you could never make one that will protect you against all of them, you'd need dozens of shots every year.

I don't think you understand the mutations. For this particular virus, the mutations are minor and one vaccine will probably work on it. It basically doesn't mutate as much as the flu. But I suppose there's always the possibility it could.

https://www.healthline.com/health-news/what-to-know-about-mutation-and-covid-19#The-bottom-line

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...onavirus-mutations-tell-us-idUSKBN22J1HC

https://science.sciencemag.org/content/early/2020/05/12/science.abc5312

CV may take off and mutate at a higher rate when it's being attacked by antibodies. Viruses are evil.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
CV may take off and mutate at a higher rate when it's being attacked by antibodies. Viruses are evil.

True, but then wouldn't that just join all the other viruses out there?

Isn't this a bit like when smallpox et al came over to the New World? Entire populations wiped out--but the carriers were (mostly) immune to the diseases having already gone them them multiple times. After a while, immunity is acquired (in a very non-desirable way). So, if this is just like prior viruses, well, I'm not sure I'm too worried. Between the promises of vaccines and the promise of treatments, I think it's more of a waiting game.

There is such a thing called Vaccine Interference. It is possible to get a vaccine, like a flu vaccine, and become vulnerable to SARS-COV-2 virus.

So one must be careful about decisions about self.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
The chains are more likely to survive as they have easier access to capital, but I won't be surprised if some of them go under as some have loaded up on too much debt. All those local restaurants may go under as they still have overhead to pay such as rent that may not get discounted and they may never be able to make it up.

Announced on the news yesterday, Steak 'n Shake is closing almost (60) locations. Not sure where all they have locations but they're based in Indianapolis and there are quite a few restaurants all around here. So even the 'bigger' chains aren't immune.

IIRC, those locations were closed prior to the pandemic due to some restructuring, but corporate is now deciding not to reopen them. Same end result but this has been coming and the current situation just accelerated the end. And based on the location near my house, I can't say I'm surprised. The only times I've visited lately have been during the shake happy-hour to get a shake-fix. The last time I actually ate there I was underwhelmed. And I hate to see that happening.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix

Again, if you read the articles, it's not quite working the way you think. There are certain vaccines like MMR which have been around a long time and the diseases haven't mutated in a long time so that the old one still effective today. They're designing the vaccine to target the spike and so far mutations haven't affected that part of the virus so that's why they think it'll be good for a while.

Originally Posted by supton
Isn't this a bit like when smallpox et al came over to the New World? Entire populations wiped out--but the carriers were (mostly) immune to the diseases having already gone them them multiple times. After a while, immunity is acquired (in a very non-desirable way). So, if this is just like prior viruses, well, I'm not sure I'm too worried. Between the promises of vaccines and the promise of treatments, I think it's more of a waiting game.

It's how the Spanish flu ended. After a year or two, it died out. Basically once about 70% of the population had it, it stopped spreading. But an estimated 50-100 million died. I guess this one will be the same, there are official numbers and unofficial estimated numbers because only those tested get counted in official numbers but you have higher than normal death rates overall and many deaths were never tested.

Originally Posted by Jarlaxle
Wolf,

Doesn't the CV mutate ?

There's only a few coronavirus out there which is why this is called sars-cov2. Normally vaccines take 10-20 years to make. After SARS went away, they never finished work on a vaccine. In theory had that happened, it might have worked for this one. But that's short term thinking for you. It's actually part of the reason why they've been able to work on it so quickly so to speak, a lot of it had been in the pipeline but was abandoned so they were able to pick up where they had stopped before. The mRNA one looks good, but there's never been an mRNA vaccine on the market.

Also technically you're wrong, there IS a vaccine now. That's the one in testing. Will there be a safe and effective one that can be widely deployed? Well, that's the unknown.

About 25% of colds are coronaviruses.

Originally Posted by Eddie
Tired of eating TV dinners at home I decided to go to APPLEBEES here is Cape Coral, FL. I googled the price of the 6 oz steak with two side and it was the same $9.99 as always. then I went to the APPLEBEES web site to order and found it had increased to $14.99. I declined to order and question what were they thinking when the gouge like this. Ed

Applebees isn't much different from TV dinners.

Back