Resturant pricing up

Originally Posted by Wolf359
Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
Originally Posted by thooks
I started to say earlier that I was surprised there was an Applebee's still open and operating.

Me too,Applebee's is absolutely disgusting.

The chains are more likely to survive as they have easier access to capital, but I won't be surprised if some of them go under as some have loaded up on too much debt. All those local restaurants may go under as they still have overhead to pay such as rent that may not get discounted and they may never be able to make it up.

Yeah those corporate chains have the capital to back them up. Gf had to meet with one of her clients there one night who's divorce she was working to get some papers signed. I'd gotten a chicken fried steak and it was so awful I took it home to put outside to feed the raccoons that come around.

Don't know about you folks but after 4 attempts to order pickup or delivery from several places to support them. Every price has been inflated. Even weeks ago before the meat shortages began. Not only that but only 1 of these meals was fit to eat. My Chipotle $18 in the door Burrito Bowl including tip was unfit to eat. Even though the tip was on the ticket, the delivery drivers had his hand out for more. Jeez.

Went to the best BBQ joint in Kansas City (IMO). Have eaten there for 20 years and the Brisket I received, about 2/3 of it was OK but it looked like they reached in the trash for the rest of it. It was sliced with the grain, had the gross fat and veins between the two parts of the brisket. It was just gross.

Tonight I am having homemade Fajitas made with beef tenderloin tails instead of going to a restaurant and not getting shafted again.

Originally Posted by Bud
Simple for me. If the price is too high, I just don't buy.

My new plan!

Originally Posted by opus1
Originally Posted by thooks
What are they thinking?

I think you should walk down the produce and fresh meat aisles on the way to the frozen foods section next time and take note of the prices on fresh food.

^This.

When I was on my weekly shopping trip last Thursday, ground beef was over $6/lb. I paid almost half that two weeks ago.

Its $7 and $8 a pound here in WA state plus they have limits on what you can buy.

Originally Posted by Eddie
Tired of eating TV dinners at home I decided to go to APPLEBEES here is Cape Coral, FL. I googled the price of the 6 oz steak with two side and it was the same $9.99 as always. then I went to the APPLEBEES web site to order and found it had increased to $14.99. I declined to order and question what were they thinking when the gouge like this. Ed

LOL the first thought in your head to order out was Applebees? Really?

I feel bad going to Applebees for free on Vet's day!

Originally Posted by Hermann
Don't know about you folks but after 4 attempts to order pickup or delivery from several places to support them. Every price has been inflated. Even weeks ago before the meat shortages began. Not only that but only 1 of these meals was fit to eat. My Chipotle $18 in the door Burrito Bowl including tip was unfit to eat. Even though the tip was on the ticket, the delivery drivers had his hand out for more. Jeez.

Went to the best BBQ joint in Kansas City (IMO). Have eaten there for 20 years and the Brisket I received, about 2/3 of it was OK but it looked like they reached in the trash for the rest of it. It was sliced with the grain, had the gross fat and veins between the two parts of the brisket. It was just gross.

Tonight I am having homemade Fajitas made with beef tenderloin tails instead of going to a restaurant and not getting shafted again.

It's one reason I don't do delivery. Cold food doesn't taste as good as hot food and even if you get take out and eat it in your car, it's still not as good as eating inside when you can eat it hot when it's ready.

Either they're real busy or not busy and the food quality has gone down.

Delivery driver was probably an Uber/Lyft driver that doesn't have any business anymore. Probably thinks that they're risking their life for take out and want to be compensated. I wouldn't blame him for wanting an extra tip and I don't blame you for not.

Originally Posted by Bud
Simple for me. If the price is too high, I just don't buy.

But, but, but... the American dream! If the price is too high, you buy it on credit.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
Then Sunday ate out at one of our favorite Chinese restaurants. Their prices have actually come down a few dollars. And they totally pile the food on your plate. Super friendly staff and the owners always come to our table and talk to us.

Lucky for you. Around here, restaurants can only provide takeout/delivery. No dine-in.

Might be rice and beans for a while.

After cooked (I do the boil in bag route), I put the rice in an olive oiled pan, mixing the rice with low salt soy sauce and mustard (preferably Chinese, with spicy brown as a number two choice), topped and mixed with Heinz beans and some ketchup.

Will periodically mix some kielbasa and/or chicken breast with it as well.

Last edited:
I haven't noticed any "price increases". If anything, there are a lot of places offering take out deals. You had to order ahead unfortunately, but there was a lot of local BBQ places offering big Mother's Day packages for $65-150 depending on how many you wanted to feed. There's a couple places if I really wanted to glutton, I could order wings, roast beef sandwiches, and a burger (between two and four meals worth) for maybe $20-25. That often includes a couple beers...

I think the prices went up a bit, but I was hardly surprised. We've been keeping it to once a month, if that, for going out. But with the pandemic we though, hey, it keeps some money local, so for 2-3 weeks we ordered in once/week. After seeing the last bill I think I'm going to head back to the old plan and keep it to maybe once a month--it's a good place but I was reminded what I don't go to that one on a regular basis.

Pretty simple really. Less meat supply as packing plants struggle, plus they probably had to raise prices to make up for lost revenue on top of that. I'd expect meat prices to be up for a while. $15 doesn't sound to unreasonable to me anyway, but I don't go to Applebees often.

If folks think this is bad now, wait for another few months or so, it's only going to get worse from here on out.

Serious meat shortages will continue, even as those processing plants were forced to stay open they will be affected again, and they will have to shut their doors again soon.

80% of our meat supply is by 2 companies according to a 🦊 News report so I highly doubt we will see the prices come down any time soon.

It's the right time to become a vegetarian.

Originally Posted by MNgopher
The products are spoiling - the live animals are being euthanized and disposed of as the processing plants to butcher them are being closed or significantly slowed down due to the current pandemic.

As an example, a large hog processing facility in the state had roughly 1/3rd of its employees test positive for COVID-19. The plant in normal times processes 21,000 hogs a day. No, that is not a typo.

Shut the plant down, where do the finished hogs go in the meantime? They are taking up the space in the barn where the younger piglets would start filling. As the hogs get too big, they are no longer easy to process - these plants are designed for animals in a typical size range. The solution is to euthanize the older hogs, and dispose of them.
Many people don't fathom the scale of meat production in this country but you broke it down quite well. Reality is, meat processors operate like automakers with "just in time" inventory or delivery of the "parts" that they need. Yes, they process parts now, not animals. They have been bred to a very specific size, weight, texture, etc. When those conditions are out of spec, they're scrapped.

Originally Posted by MNgopher
But divert the animals to a local butcher so they don't go to waste I hear. Sounds like a great idea, except butchers here are booked out to July at this point, and they don't have the capacity to pick up 20+ thousand hogs a day, multiplied by multiple plants...

I'm not sure about beef and pork, but if it's like poultry, the farmers don't own them. They are owned by companies like Tyson, JBS, Smithfield, and so on and the farmers are simply contractors and they raise them. So, the farmers can't divert them to local butchers or smaller slaughterhouses. The big corporations would rather scrap them and write off the losses.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
I'm not sure about beef and pork, but if it's like poultry, the farmers don't own them. They are owned by companies like Tyson, JBS, Smithfield, and so on and the farmers are simply contractors and they raise them. So, the farmers can't divert them to local butchers or smaller slaughterhouses. The big corporations would rather scrap them and write off the losses.

They basically have no choice but to scrap them and write them off. They've squeezed out so much inefficiency that when the plant is down, there's no excess capacity to spin up another plant. It takes years to build a plant. And there's about 50 plants that do about 98% of the beef out there. Shut down a few and there's no where else to go.

This use to happen in the oil business too, they used to be at maximum refinery utilization such that a fire at just one refinery would drive up prices everywhere.

There have been stories on poultry (both for eggs and for chicken) where the company owns the animals and has come and euthanized them. The stories here on pork have been more along the lines where farmers have contracts to deliver pigs, but appear to still own them and are selling them where able... May not apply to all the animals, but...

Regardless, folks appear to have very little understanding of the "factory" nature of the meatpacking these days - just like modern widget plants - just in time delivery and little room for disruption. Works OK when an isolated plant here or there goes down, but when a large chunk of the industry is affected, the lack of excess capacity and slack doesn't work so well. But hey, cheap meat right?

Gouging is happening to make up for lost business. A local beauty salon is now charging $10 more on a men's haircut.

I'm sure food wise, the increased price is from increased food prices as well.

Originally Posted by Eddie
Tired of eating TV dinners at home I decided to go to APPLEBEES here is Cape Coral, FL. I googled the price of the 6 oz steak with two side and it was the same $9.99 as always. then I went to the APPLEBEES web site to order and found it had increased to $14.99. I declined to order and question what were they thinking when the gouge like this. Ed

Supply and demand, just like gasoline. Beef prices through the roof. Supply chain disruptions and hoarding in supermarkets are creating nationwide shortages. Just like toilet paper. :eek:)
Its not gouging, its a free market, we live in a free country. Applebees can charge whatever the marketplace will pay and you have the option of not eating there.

Gotta love when people complain about the price of something because they dont feel like cooking their own food ... *LOL* and dont want to pay the price someone else will charge them.

Last edited:
Back