Restored Messerschmitt Bf109 in Flight / Sound V12

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see no new posts in a while, so I saw this and with D-Day's Anniversary, being yesterday, thought I would post it here. This is the aircraft our men had to fight against and it was quite a lethal weapon. Good sound of the MB V12 Aero Engine and the take-off and landing on a short grass airstrip. Lots of aircraft links too, off this site.
patriot.gif
canada.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzgYkfq9OVw

Such a fine machine and well designed it ALMOST would have stopped the 19 year old kid in the P51 from squeezing the 10 second burst and eliminating it as as threat.

Once the most of the experience pilots were killed Goering had problems manning these hummers.

The lubricants technology that was tricked for these engines STILL drive tribological formulating work.

Such a beautiful machine, note the torsional torque transferring engine mount system, what a gem!

Almost makes you forget the evil that drove the Third Reich.

I just realized something as I looked at the video again. The mechanic during the pre-flight check on the engine, checks the engine oil dipstick and actually feels the oil with his fingers, checking for grit and metal shavings! I do this when manually checking the oil in my engines, as many of us do? I wonder if the oil is AeroShell?
cheers.gif

You've got to always be amazed at Human ingenuity, regardless of the cause. (I admire the work of Kalashnikov and Maxim also)

BTW, I saw my first P51 taking off and in the air a few weeks ago.

Delectable sounds

Quote:

Such a fine machine and well designed it ALMOST would have stopped the 19 year old kid in the P51 from squeezing the 10 second burst and eliminating it as as threat...

Yup. The P-51 was the superior fighter. Eric Hartmann admitted it too; he was able to shoot down only four of them the first time he encountered Mustangs(they made the fatal mistake of trying to dogfight). He did have the advantage of experience (352 victories over Soviet and Allied aircraft). As long as a Mustang pilot kept his speed and energy up he was relatively safe. In a tight-turning dogfight the 109 was very formidable.
Joe

Quote:

I just realized something as I looked at the video again. The mechanic during the pre-flight check on the engine, checks the engine oil dipstick and actually feels the oil with his fingers, checking for grit and metal shavings! I do this when manually checking the oil in my engines, as many of us do? I wonder if the oil is AeroShell?
cheers.gif

GANG! I was looking at this post when I made the above post. This is another aircraft, not Black 6.
This post has great sound of the inverted V12 Mercedes-Benz Aero Engine and the crewman checking the oil.
cheers.gif
patriot.gif

http://youtube.com/watch?v=mzgYkfq9OVw&mode=related&search=

http://youtube.com/watch?v=5nj77mJlzrc&mode=related&search=

Watch both videos, they are of the same aircraft and a continuation. Also the dialogue is in German and that adds to the videos. I really enjoy watching these type of videos. Vedersehen
cheers2.gif

No, they were not being rude -- I was, because I criticized them for their dialect, which wasn't even really thick. We Bavarians dismiss any German who's not Bavarian.
laugh.gif

The guy said the plane was now 500 kg lighter because it didn't carry weapons and ammo, and that's why it was set up to make less horsepower now than during wartime.

"We Bavarians dismiss any German who's not Bavarian."

Yup. When my wife and I were getting tickets at the Durer museum in Nuremburg the lady in the booth asked something which made my wife pause a bit, I asked what was going on, and she said that the lady asked 'Are you German or are you Bavarian ?"

The FW190 was probably even more thought of than the Me109, and certainly the Me262 was.

I recall an interview with a German pilot in the 'World at War' series, where the pilot commented about telling new pilots that the gunners on the bombers would start shooting at 1000 yards, and that if it bothered them they should close their eyes until they were in range. He did pause when talking about the P51, saying that they didn't have anything as good.

Quote:

"We Bavarians dismiss any German who's not Bavarian."

Yup. When my wife and I were getting tickets at the Durer museum in Nuremburg the lady in the booth asked something which made my wife pause a bit, I asked what was going on, and she said that the lady asked 'Are you German or are you Bavarian ?"

Bavaria even has its own constitution and anthem. We are notorious contrarians (Thanks, Gary Allen.
wink.gif
)
laugh.gif

when you study Battle of Britain like I have you realise ME109 was a good fighter for a good pilot. Idiots could fly a Spitfire and survive which made a huge difference in a war of attrition. The eaerly RAF tactics were worse than rubbish but they learnt from the Germans battle hardened in Spain. Unlike the ME109 the Spitfire (and Hurricane the workhorse) improved hugeley as the war progressed. Yes you guessed it I (and my father) are ex Air Force. Oh and I lived in Grmany for 3.5 yrs in early days but remember little unfortunately fwiw

Is this the same plane and pilot that overshoots the runway in that Youtube video clip? Man I hope not.. what a idiot. does anyone remember back in 1975, when MMB restored a 109 with a real DB engine, for willey m's birthday and that pilot ground looped and destroyed it too. Thats one reason why there are so few left around today. But they are awesome to watch and hear

I think it is. The crashed plane in England, was the "Black 6", the other one in Germany, was the "Red 7."

The engine for Black 6, is the one that was at Henry Ford Museum, in Dearborn, MI. I remember seeing it when I was a kid and later, a lot of things were sold-off, during restructuring at the Museum and The Edison Institute. Was it sold or donated to the IMPERIAL WAR MUSEUM, in the UK. where the Bf109, was restored and on exhibit? The engine was used in evaluation and testing of the Nazi German Bf109, during the War, and found it's way to Henry Ford Museum. Or I think it is.
patriot.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back