response from Chevron-Texaco

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, kids, for all of you who're just convinced that ChevronTexaco's reply to mikep was a copout to hide the alleged "fact" that Havoline Synthetic oil is "really" a dreaded Group III faux synthetic, chew on and digest the following which I lifted from another thread (Havoline Synthetic 10W-30) I had posted to. This was researched from the Havoline Synthetic MSDS posted at ChevronTexaco's web site:

"I don't pretend to understand the techno-babble from that MSDS, but complicating the picture is some further information under:

[material from the Havoline Synthetic MSDS follows:]

'11. TOXICOLOGICAL INFORMATION

[blah-blah-blah for listed "effects"]

ADDITIONAL TOXICOLOGY INFORMATION

This product contains synthetic base oils not refined from petroleum base stocks. ...'

The bold emphasis was mine, but, it's a direct quote. Doesn't really sound like a Group III, does it?"

[ November 12, 2003, 06:59 PM: Message edited by: Ray H ]

Of course it does have SOME synthectic base stocks,but that alone doesn't qualify it to be higher than a group III.

[ November 12, 2003, 07:39 PM: Message edited by: Holden McRoin ]

I called Chevron today and asked them if Supreme was a group IV or III. He said it's a group III and they have been using it for years. He said the only difference between their grp III oil and a IV Mobil 1 is what comes out of your wallet. Nicely put. He said a group IV has better cold/temp properties but it's the additization of the oil that counts. Kind of similar to Schaeffer's philosophy. Chevron is good stuff and I've been very impressed by it.

Here is a pretty good UOA of Chevrons " molyless
smile.gif
" Group III 5/40 in a vehicle but it only got 6 replies . I guess this group does not have the allure to it but in this formulation it performed well . Now , is it worth the same money a PAO or other group or blend of is ? It is "if" it will perform with or better at the same cost and interval in the same driving style/habits in the same vehicle .

I'm kinda impressed with some of the group II/III blends available now .

http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=001058

quote:

I'm kinda impressed with some of the group II/III blends available now

I agree, and that is a great UOA! Where did you buy the 5w-40? I can't find Chevron Supreme around me.
frown.gif

This product contains synthetic base oils not refined from petroleum base stocks. ...'

The product has a small amount of ester base (less than 5%) They very likely buy the additive package of Zinc in an ester oil.

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
I called Chevron today and asked them if Supreme was a group IV or III. He said it's a group III and they have been using it for years. He said the only difference between their grp III oil and a IV Mobil 1 is what comes out of your wallet. Nicely put. He said a group IV has better cold/temp properties but it's the additization of the oil that counts. Kind of similar to Schaeffer's philosophy. Chevron is good stuff and I've been very impressed by it.

Was this "Supreme" the Synthetic or the dino Supreme with ISO-SYN?
I ask because of another thread that is about the dino , someone posted that Chevron has made a similar statement, despite this board saying it's a GroupII.
There might be some confusion since their both called Supreme.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back