Requesting recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have just obtained a 1997 Chrysler LHS. The 3.5L V6 has minor oil leaks, not enough to have to add oil, but enough to spot the driveway (wife ain't happy with this!).

I prefer PP 10-30, but should I try a HM oil? Or would the PP 10-30 exacerbate the leaking? Also, is there a synthetic HM oil available? FWIT, the engine has 100K, and I drive 100% on Interstate highway. Opinions welcome, thanks.

Last edited:
Valvoline makes a synthetic MaxLife, which is a high mileage, in 5W/10W-30. Mobil 1 makes a full synthetic High Mileage in 5W-30, 10W-30, and 10W-40.

In Southeast Texas, I would really be inclined to try the Mobil 1 in 10W-40 or 10W-30. For the first fill, I would change the oil filter at 1500 miles. I would change oil and filter at 3000 miles. After that, use your OCI.

My nephew put over 240,000 miles on one of those engines. He started out with Valvoline conventional 10W-40, then, at about 150,000 miles, I talked him into Mobil 1 15W-50. He had to replace the transmission twice and when it went the third time, he sold the car for salvage.

Last edited:
Like said above any one of the Valvoline synthetic MaxLife or the M1 10W-40 or 10W-30HM would work great in that car and may help your leak some since it's minor.

Another vote for MaxLife, but not the syn version. The syn blend is very good, reasonably priced, and available. Why spens more than you have to to get what works?

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
Looking for an oil to fix a leak is way down the list of options.

spoken like a true mechanic
10.gif

Originally Posted By: law3500
Yes valvoline maxlife is available in full synthetic. That is what I would run...

X2!
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
Looking for an oil to fix a leak is way down the list of options.

HaHa! Like I said, if wife ain't happy..., well, you know the rest! If oil can help, I'll try it!

I am looking for a good "house brand" gasoline oil to carry with my new business. I live in Houston. Can anyone point me in the right direction. I am lookig for 10W-30, 5W-30 and5W-20.

Originally Posted By: Kingpin
I am looking for a good "house brand" gasoline oil to carry with my new business. I live in Houston. Can anyone point me in the right direction. I am lookig for 10W-30, 5W-30 and5W-20.

Assuming you are talking about purchasing bulk oil for your business. Mobil, Castrol, Pennzoil, Valvoline are all regular known oils. Most people who come to a place like what it sounds like you are setting up don't care what brand it is as long as they have heard of it. If I were starting a business like this, I would just make sure whatever brand I used, I would be getting the best price for a name brand that carried all the weights that are in common use. 5w20, 5w30, 10w30, 10w40 etc. That is my "business" recommendation, and has nothing to do with my personal oil brand preference.

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
Originally Posted By: law3500
Yes valvoline maxlife is available in full synthetic. That is what I would run...

X2!
thumbsup2.gif

V-ML it is. Good to see agreement. Thank you all.

Thanks Cooper! I've been talking with allot of Mobile Oil business owners around the country. Most of them will carry a name brand conventional oil but they will also carry off brands to offer a cheaper oil change. I personally am in the air about that. I run strictly synthetics in my vehicles and can't remember the last time I used a conventional oil. But I have noticed that there are allot of people who don't care what they put in there vehicle, they only want a $20-$25 oil change. Deep down I want to stay away from that, but on the other hand I don't want to turn the money down. I am going into business to make money. Should I stick to name brand only or are the off brands (super tech, O'reillys etc.) just as good?

Originally Posted By: Kingpin
Thanks Cooper! I've been talking with allot of Mobile Oil business owners around the country. Most of them will carry a name brand conventional oil but they will also carry off brands to offer a cheaper oil change. I personally am in the air about that. I run strictly synthetics in my vehicles and can't remember the last time I used a conventional oil. But I have noticed that there are allot of people who don't care what they put in there vehicle, they only want a $20-$25 oil change. Deep down I want to stay away from that, but on the other hand I don't want to turn the money down. I am going into business to make money. Should I stick to name brand only or are the off brands (super tech, O'reillys etc.) just as good?

I don't know about O'Reillys, but SuperTech is probably just as good as brand name conventional oil. Some of it is supplied by Exxon, I believe.

But you can't buy SuperTech at wholesale or bulk prices, so I assume you could get a name-brand oil in bulk containers for the same price as SuperTech in a bottle. But that is just an assumption on my part, and I don't know what suppliers you have available to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back