Replacing Power Steering Pump

Status
Not open for further replies.
2000 Dodge Durango 5.2L

I purchased a reman A1-Cardone Power Steering pump to replace the one on my Durango that is leaking like crazy. (Actual Pump Here)

I have never changed one before but seems (or seemed) straight forward enough. It came with a small bag with two o-rings. One is larger than the other. One is obviously to replace the o-ring on the high pressure line. I cannot figure what the other one is for unless the high pressure line needs two (if so where?) or it is that depending on the application you need one or the other o-ring??? I have the old pump off, removed the pulley, put new pump on the bracket, pressed the pulley on, and plan to install it this Saturday so any help with the o-rings appreciated.

Just a thought!

The extra O Ring could have been added by mistake at Packaging.
Certainly double check the old pump for where this O Ring might go but, if you can't find a use for it on the new install, don't worry!

Its not uncommon for them to supply multiple small parts (O-rings, etc) that are used with different fittings. IIRC, the Saginaw pump you have has a reducer fitting inside the pressure regulator in the back, so it can be used with different size high pressure lines. That same pump cross-references all the way back to the late 1960s Mopars, so there's a wide, wide range of applications.

Sometimes an auto maker will change the design of a hose without telling you. Considerate remanufacturers know that, and provide extra parts so you don't get in trouble.

After re-reading the instructions (and apparantly reading them completely this time) the other o-ring is if you have to re-use the high pressure valve from the old pump on the new pump. According to the instructions sometimes the one for a particular vehicle is different than the one that was in the re-man pump. Mine were the same.

Pump is on and seems to be working just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back