Replacing original battery in 2014 Highlander

The original battery in our Highlander is showing it's age with occasional slow starts and minimal reserve capacity resulting in a couple jump starts in the last 2 months.

From what I can see, it's a Johnson Controls Type 24 and I believe a Dec 18, 2013 build date.

Screenshot_20200808-180138_Gallery.jpg

This battery definitely lasted a good long time, and I'm open for ideas as I do like the AGM batts, have a 6YO XS Power in my 2002 GMC with zero issues.

Looking at warranties and prices, seems the price of lead sure has gone through the roof...o_O.

I know battery topics get beat to death but it's forever changing tech and quality.

I'm fine with spending $150-200 on a battery to get 7 years out of it. I spent more on my XS battery but don't feel I gained a huge amount of reserve capacity which is a big deal IMO if I'm listening to the radio for 30 min or more.

I’ve personally done well with US made Exide and Deka/East Penn batteries. JCI not so much. I’d look to see if your WM has an East Penn battery.

Another vote for the Die Hard

I don't mind either way, but just curious if there's any advantage to letting them install the battery? Difference in price/warranty?

Are these Die Hard batts JC"s or East Penn/Deka?

I don't mind either way, but just curious if there's any advantage to letting them install the battery? Difference in price/warranty?

The advantage is that you can order it online with the coupon and send the wife there to have them put it in her car without taking the day off work.

Previous batteries from AAP (Silver and Gold Autocraft) were Johnson, have not purchased die hard yet.

Where you live you may.... Have a Federated Auto parts store near you...

They have East Penn made batteries... Way cheaper than that $170 Diehard....

A group 24 battery with a 3 yr free replacement warranty is $117... Something to think about.

I got my Federated Auto battery from a store in the Richmond area. Just south of there by 10 miles. Closer to Petersburg and just before Colonial heights.

Where you live you may.... Have a Federated Auto parts store near you...

Thanks for that tip, forgot about Fisher and I do have one about 45 min away. They have a 2 YR East Penn for $90, and a 3YR for $130. I have a Batteries & Bulbs close by and they have the Duracell for $110 & $130 respectively.

Given the driving distance the Duracell by East Penn will likely be my best bet.

Why don't you just check your local WalMart for an Everstart MAXX battery? In Virginia, they are made by East Penn/Deka with a 3 yr. full replacement warranty for $99. You can verify it is a East Penn by looking at the part number adjacent to the bar code on top of the battery. If it starts with "EP" it is manufactured by East Penn. If it starts with JC, it is a Johnson Controls unit; if it starts with "EX" run away fast since that is a lousy Exide battery. The benefit of buying from WalMart is that they are everywhere. Easy replacement if you happen to be out of town and the battery dies under warranty.

By the way, the 2014 Highlander takes a Group 24F battery, not a Group 24 (the terminal polarities are reversed).

Everstart MAXX

Last edited:
Why don't you just check your local WalMart for an Everstart MAXX battery? In Virginia, they are made by East Penn/Deka with a 3 yr. full replacement warranty for $99. You can verify it is a East Penn by looking at the part number adjacent to the bar code on top of the battery. If it starts with "EP" it is manufactured by East Penn.

Thanks, I took that advice and found the MAXX by East Penn, 8/20 born on date so all is good.

Thanks everyone for all the help!

I am amazed the original battery lasted so long. Here in Texas if you get 3 years out of any battery it's time for celebration.

Back