replacement tires for 2013 vw passat 2.5

size is 215 60 r16. i replaced oem conti at 42k with kelly edge. now 88k with 5/32 left so im thinking of a replacement in the fall tire sale season at latest.

the kellys have been quite ok at their low price but i got them at a military px and wont get car care there anymore. during lockdown panic military retirees have been deemed nonessential and locked out, making px service and warranty promises worthless.

discount tire opened here recently. its staff are fast, polite and on the ball, so im leaning to this vendor.

as much as i like my passat i'm thinking to let it go at 120k. im retired so no daily commute. use is uncrowded suburban roads at speed limit and highway no more than 5mph over. on atlantic coast and inland, temperate climate, not alot of snow. passat is religiously dealer maintained. i like quiet, safe and comfortable because i'm at that age.

dt has the bitog-recommended cooper cs5 and general altimax rt43 at mid $400ish. for low $300s kumho solus and dunlop signature are buyer recommended too and easily available in my size. am i on the right track when the fall sales season arrives?

I'm a fan of RT43's. I think they give good performance in snow when new; when half-worn, not so much (no surprise there). Wet traction I think falls off pretty quickly once 4/32's is hit, but for the price I've been ok with that. For you, if you are low miles per year, that should not be a problem for quite some time.

Edit: When I did change from Conti to RT43 on my Jetta I noticed a huge change in handling. On my Camry's, not so much.
smile.gif

Last edited:
folluwup: a nonrepairable flat and all four tires at 3/32 led to a new set of 4 conti procontact replacement tires from dt, all done in one hour after my phone call (including a 20 min donut drive), $100 each, total of $435 after rebates, military discount, installation fees and taxes. handling and mpg (+2mpg) are noticeably better than the worn out set of kelly edge. plus my purchase didn’t support goodyear’s (kelly’s owner) foray into wokeness indoctrination of a couple of months ago.

8 months and 8000 miles later, and the passat’s contis are superb. made three long distance drives up and down east coast, one in lousy weather. handling is planted. road noise is down. mpg easily 25mpg suburbs, 36mpg highway 5mph over limit. discount tire gave me a great deal and i remain very pleased.

next up i will need tires for my yaris due to age at 8 years, not treadwear.

Back