replacement engine 10" bolt circle vertical shaft

Status
Not open for further replies.
had an issue with my riding mower, carb let gas leak down from the tank and filled crankcase with gas. over a quart of gas. I started it and it ran for a couple seconds and didn't sound to good. Drained crankcase and refilled with oil, started right up but was blowing smoke near the exhaust. I think i maybe only blew the head gasket, and have the head off it now and it looked like the gasket failed. but I snapped 4 of the head bolts, will try drilling them later this week.
Any advice to drilling/removing them appreciated, have the engine on my bench.
In the event damage is more than head gasket, where can I get a replacement motor? Would prefer an OHV engine. Current engine is briggs 12.5hp, model 28T707, type 1113-E1, code 970718ZA. I think I can get the pulley off the motor to run the transaxle, which is all I'm using the mower for. the cutting deck is removed. current engine has a 10" bolt circle, having trouble finding engines that size. It seems vertical shaft lawnmower engines have 8" bolt circle, the bigger engines say 10+hp seem to have 10" bolt circle. I would be ok with a smaller engine, right now I could go up my driveway which is steep in 5th gear at idle with the motor barely bogging, so I don't need anywhere 12hp for what I want to do.

Irwin sells a kit with a few EZ-out bits and some left handed drill bits. Its on Amazon for $30 if I remember.

Have you looked at the HF engines?

A good welder can help new bolts to the ones that snapped and get the snapped ones out that way.

Don't snap the EZ-out.

all of harbor freights larger engines are horizontal shaft..
the only vertical ones are aprox 6hp and less.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back