Replacement carb for Honda GCV 160

I had problems with surging on my 6 year old GCV 160 on my Toro lawnmower. I did the usual things but ended up ordering a new carb from Amazon. It’s identical and after installing it, the mower works perfectly. I dropped the bowl on the old one and it is absolutely clean. The mower has an automatic choke that is separate from the carb and I did not touch it. Here is a pic. Old carb is on the left. Anyone have any tips on inspecting the old carb?

D73E15EE-972C-41B4-9D2D-133470426549.jpeg

I would take it apart, clean, blow out the passages and keep it as a spare. That's probably all it needs and is a good learning experience.

Yes check the low speed jet. It is on the top of the carb. First take the plastic throttle stop adjust screw all the way out then pull out the plastic piece under the screw it has the jet in it.

I've replaced it a few times on my Troy Bilt w/ gcv160, they were typically only around $20. Not hard to replace but you need like 3 hands to do the job.

It is almost always the pilot jet.

In some cases the main jet and mixing tube will get a very light coating that will foul it.
+1

Small engines are set up to run very lean for emissions reasons, so any bit of varnish coating inside the jets can make them surge. I've had carbs that appeared clean, I sprayed out the jets with carb cleaner, and they still surged. The only fix was sticking them in an ultrasonic cleaner.

Back