Honda gcv 160 won’t start

Hello everyone, first time poster. I have a Ryobi pressure washer with a Honda GCV 160 engine. The unit is about 4 years old. It has worked flawlessly and never gave any issues. I used it the other day with no troubles. Brought it out yesterday to wash the RZR and won’t start. I have spark at the plug. Yes it has gas in it, I checked the valves for clearance, both needed very little adjustment, and both valves look to be moving freely when cranked.
I can spray starting fluid into the carb and get nothing. Just a backfire every now and then. Unit has oil in it, and gets used on a regular basis. (Gas doesn’t sit long round here)

I have a push mower with the same engine, I have swapped plugs around just to be sure and still nada.

The occasional backfire made me think a stuck valve, but that doesn’t seem to be the issue.
Can anyone think of something I’m missing?
I don’t believe this one has a oil safety switch that I can tell.
Any help is appreciated.

I also will add that compared to my push mower with same engine, this one seems a lot easier to pull. (Low compression)?

I’ve tried both gas and starting fluid.
Hmm, this is an enigma.

Could you post a video or pictures?

So there's spark, but when gas poured down carb or spark plug hole - no start?

Could the timing be off, or a sheared flywheel?

Strange if you used it he other day and it ran with no issues.
good spark at the plug ? maybe coil .
timing may be off ?
maybe try new plug .

Ok, so it sounds like you have everything an engine needs to run, so something that you think is good, isn't. Since it is on a pressure washer, I seriously doubt if the flywheel key is sheared, but, are you sure you have a strong enough spark? How did you check it? You should have a nice blue spark that will jump a 1/4 inch gap. A red spark that will only jump the spark plug gap won't do. If that is good, I will have to figure something else out.

Ok, so it sounds like you have everything an engine needs to run, so something that you think is good, isn't. Since it is on a pressure washer, I seriously doubt if the flywheel key is sheared, but, are you sure you have a strong enough spark? How did you check it? You should have a nice blue spark that will jump a 1/4 inch gap. A red spark that will only jump the spark plug gap won't do. If that is good, I will have to figure something else out.
Between both plugs I’ve tried they both seem to be giving off a nice “normal” spark.

I also will add that compared to my push mower with same engine, this one seems a lot easier to pull. (Low compression)?
Somehow I missed this previously. If the compression is very low, It could be a chunk of carbon broke loose and is stuck under a valve. I would test it by putting a finger on the spark plug hole (tightly) and pulling the engine over quickly. It should blow your finger off with a pop.

Last edited:
Does it have an on/off switch? If so try bypassing it. I've had so many of those stupid on/off switches on Hondas go bad.

I could be wrong but my thinking was that if the switch was bad it would kill the spark to the plug? And it does not have a fuel filter.

i am thinking stuck exhaust valve. take the vavle cover off and then the rockers. use a screwdriver and press the valve in. they should both go in the same distance.

Back