Replaced Oxygen Sensor for MB E430

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just replaced two rear Oxygen Sensor for '00 MB E430 with OEM Bosch. Check Engine went off almost every day for more than a month, I have OBD II scanner and I had to clear the code every day. I bought 2 Bosch O2 sensors on line for $100 shipped, went to my trusted mechanic and he charged $40 labor to replace the two rear sensors, the total time is less than 30 minutes so that $40 labor is a little too high, when I was lazy I had him change the oil+filter with my parts he only charge $5 labor. Total cost for two rear sensors is $140, which is not bad for 9.5 years and 100k miles.

The car seems to run smoother and quieter, engine seems to respond to the gas pedal faster and according to trip computer the gas mileage is better by about 4-5%. The car has 102.xxx miles, so that the two rear OEM O2 sensors lasted it expected life, the two front sensors are still working but I am looking to buy it when I can find it for cheap, I expect they may fail soon and like to have parts on hand to replace when it failed.

Originally Posted By: gavinl
IMHO $40 for 30 mins labor seems reasonable, small price for a job well done.

reasonable to fairly inexpensive actually.

It took him 10 minutes to change oil and filter and he charged only $5, so that $40 to replace two(2) rear O2 sensors is a little high compares with oil change. I took a look at the position of these two sensors, if I have tool and the car is on a lift I could do it myself in 30 minutes. An experience mechanic can get it done in 15-20 minutes.

Anyway, I just called a couple independent shops near my house and they all want $100 labor to replace the two rear O2 sensors for my car, they said the Mercedes need special tool that why it is expensive. They're obviously b**shing, they want to make more $ from a luxury car owners. The phone calls make me feel better for not been ripped of by my trusted mechanic.

Changing the O2 sensors requires more effort and skill to finesse them out than a simple oil and filter. Be thankful you have found a good furrin car mechanic.

$40 for a half-hour job is a low rate.

The fact that he is even questioning this rate makes me think the OP does not understand the expenses involved in running a garage, or most businesses for that matter.

A lot of mechanics (myself included, in the side work I do from time to time) will not install parts the owner has provided unless they are willing to sign off on having zero warranty on them. I will not do extra labor replacing somebody's cheap Chinese parts from eBay when they fail after a month; owners who try to save a few pennies by bringing their own (invariably aftermarket and usually of dubious quality) parts are nothing but trouble in my experience. If I got the parts from a reputable known source, I'll eat the labor if they go bad within a reasonable time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back