Replaced Golf Sportwagen with an Alltrack

Originally Posted by dareo
Wow, VW pulled the discounts and the 0% for 72 months. I literally got it on the last day of that lucrative promo. Now its like 2 grand off sticker and no subverted finance. Can't really recommend anyone buying at those terms.

Odd, what they will do with '19 model year cars when the 21's hit the lot will be interesting. I imagine there will be future discounts on them to finally clear them out.

Originally Posted by dareo
Wow, VW pulled the discounts and the 0% for 72 months. I literally got it on the last day of that lucrative promo. Now its like 2 grand off sticker and no subverted finance. Can't really recommend anyone buying at those terms.

My Dealer has 15 of them. many SE are 6000.00 off and SEL 7000.00 off.

That brings them to Market Parity with a Subaru Outback which I would guess is a better car.

But I shouldn't guess as I have not driven the two back to back.

AllTrack Inventory

Yeah looks like the rebates came back today. I don't see any evidence of the 0% financing though. The 0% is really what did it for me. So easy to make that payment with investments at 0%.

Hey I'm from Utah and went to Colorado to buy a new Alltrack too! Funny coincidence. Ken Garff in Orem would only knock $2k off MSRP if we went with 0% financing so we went to Grand Junction and got $5k off MSRP for our SEL with 0% for 72 months.
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite

That brings them to Market Parity with a Subaru Outback which I would guess is a better car.

But I shouldn't guess as I have not driven the two back to back.

Depends on what the person wants. Somebody who wants a lot of ground clearance and has no intention of ever modifying anything would be better served with the Subaru. I avoid CVT like it was rectal cancer. I would rather drive anything else i own than a plain CVT Subaru, even if you gave it to me for free. I want to really enjoy the drive and have future upgrades in power. You can easily take an Alltrack to 350hp or so and the DSG doesn't mind. VW offers a high level of refinement and precision in how it drives. The price? Lower resale value, likely lower reliability.

I did test drive two new WRX sedans, no CVT of course, and they were quite fun. However you do have to really pay attention to your shifting and clutch work on that car. Its really precise and has to be driven with skill or you wont have a smooth ride. It was quite fun to drive but it would not make the best daily driver. I love how their AWD works. The car did feel like an old Japanese tin can but that wasn't the biggest turn off. WRX did not win my money due to the higher price, the lack of a high quality automatic like DSG, and the number of issues people frequently have if they increase power. Out of the box the WRX did feel just a bit underpowered so i would have to increase it eventually and face the engine, trans, clutch issues. I don't believe there is an APR Plus type tuner who will replace your powertrain warranty on a WRX.

The Alltrack is just so perfect to get in and out of, see out of, ride and steering quality are so good, the DSG is impressive, i'm really happy with it. The aftermarket is endless to do whatever you might want to one.

Originally Posted by 2011335d
Hey I'm from Utah and went to Colorado to buy a new Alltrack too! Funny coincidence. Ken Garff in Orem would only knock $2k off MSRP if we went with 0% financing so we went to Grand Junction and got $5k off MSRP for our SEL with 0% for 72 months.

Nice! Every vehicle in my fleet has been purchased outside of Utah. They just really sucker people for top dollar here used and new.

I don't know what it is with new Subarus, the cars or the drivers, but they have become rolling roadblocks everywhere I go. Maybe they are so nice people prefer to leisurely plod from one place to another on their drive to the commune?

How do you like the TourX compared to the Alltrack? We don't get the TourX up here, and if we didn't have kids we probably would've ended with the 6mt awd sportwagon. We found the Focus a bit small and loud for road trips and wanted something substantially bigger and quieter, and could tow so we ended up with the Outback. I don't mind the CVT at all really other than at -10 or less, it takes a mile or two for the trans to be warm enough to lock up the torque converter. If you use more than 30% throttle to accelerate it acts so much like a normal auto I doubt many people could tell, and it responds to the flappy paddles quite fast. Its not sharp handling but my only real complaint is that you can't fully shut off stability control to drift around rally style in the snow.

I love the TourX for what we use it for, a family hauler, road tripper, primary vehicle for the wife and kids to use thing. I personally prefer to daily drive the Alltrack because it is smaller and more agile. Stock for Stock the Tourx is more powerful than the VW, but i like to drive as small as possible. The Alltrack is narrower, shorter, and really well proportioned to offer a lot of cargo space and still feel like a very light vehicle. That MQB chassis really performs. TourX is all luxury so things are smoother and more relaxed in the handling and transmission. Not to say that it doesn't handle well its just setup for being a luxury touring wagon. For family use, get the TourX. For a car that 95% of the time is just myself in it, the Alltrack is ideal.

Last edited:
That's awesome that you enjoy the car. It would be awesome if we got a bit more choices on the wagon side. I like to take solo road trips and I'm feeling my focus sedan is getting a bit small now. Good to know another's view on this car.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by sloinker
I don't know what it is with new Subarus, the cars or the drivers, but they have become rolling roadblocks everywhere I go. Maybe they are so nice people prefer to leisurely plod from one place to another on their drive to the commune?

Same with Camry;s and Older Chevy Malibus

BTW The steering and handling on My Jetta is abysmal.

Whomever is in charge of product development and engineering truly have their head stuck somewhere smelly.
Or they just don't care and are knocking out junk.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Cdn17Sport6MT
Add shift paddles? Or do you already have them? Or do you want them?

It has some small shifter paddle button type things on the steering wheel. I only used them in the rocky mountains for descent control. I am not driving this thing hard until i get about 1000 miles of break in time. Perhaps then i will shift manually. My brain and the DSG's brain seem to get along well in auto mode. Takeoff from standstill feels like you just nailed the very best clutch engagement of your life every time. Not ashamed to admit its way better at clutch work than i am.

Interesting, that one dealer still has more AllTracks for sale than I think were EVER collectively available in the entire KC Metro area.

Originally Posted by sloinker

I think some cars or vehicles have a character that entices fun, sporty or assertive driving and while not actually 'causing' it, the way they feel, fit and handle through traffic help drivers make the most of a drive, commute or even an errand.
To say some Subaru models, Camry, or Impala aren't or may not be that car isn't meant as a slight, just a different market and approach.

My Infiniti was fun in a lot of ways but the Golf wagen is svelte, athletic, responsive and sneaks around in unassuming, less inspiring body lines.
It's fun in different ways and for different reasons but ultimately, fun to drive and being hurried or assertive in ways to enjoy the car that aren't blasting speed limits or reckless endangerment is the best one can hope for if not at track day. Daily drivers offering front row fun make most errands or excuses to go somewhere a taste of adventure.
(Not everybody feels this way though).

Last edited:
I know I'm strange in this regard... but I generally, so-like driving, that pretty-well any of my cars - well, I get energized and feel happy to get in and drive. Now four of my six vehicles are manuals... but I feel that way even with the automatics. Also... I rarely turn on the radio. Yeah, I know I have too many vehicles (lots of them are not currently licensed).

Last edited:
They reposted the 0% for 72 months with 120 day delay deal! Get ya a wagon before they are gone!

Small Update: I now have 1100 miles on the Alltrack. I was able to take it on a highway trip again. About 330 miles 90% highway of 50-75 mph speed limits and mountainous hills. 33.5 MPG. Great for AWD imo. My normal daily grind of about 10 miles or less severe stop and go will net 20-22 mpg tanks. Seems the dealer with the huge stash of wagons has sold about half, showing 35 left instock. These things are almost history in new condition. Still like the vehicle and it stays rather cool with this color combo in the hot summer sun.

Small Update: I now have 1100 miles on the Alltrack. I was able to take it on a highway trip again. About 330 miles 90% highway of 50-75 mph speed limits and mountainous hills. 33.5 MPG. Great for AWD imo. My normal daily grind of about 10 miles or less severe stop and go will net 20-22 mpg tanks. Seems the dealer with the huge stash of wagons has sold about half, showing 35 left instock. These things are almost history in new condition. Still like the vehicle and it stays rather cool with this color combo in the hot summer sun.
That's pretty good hwy mileage, what rpm does it run in top gear at 60mph? Our Outback can run about the same hwy mileage but we rarely get over 60mph. Much above 60mph the Outback gets better mileage than my Focus wagon but the Focus is running almost 1000 more rpm in top gear for the same speed.

Small Update: I now have 1100 miles on the Alltrack. I was able to take it on a highway trip again. About 330 miles 90% highway of 50-75 mph speed limits and mountainous hills. 33.5 MPG. Great for AWD imo.
Nice. Although, my 2001 A4 1.8T quattro (torsen/permanent AWD) would get similar MPG in those driving conditions. One would have thought that VAG would have made some improvements in fuel economy in 20 years time. :)

Granted, the Alltrack may be slightly heavier and less aerodynamic due to taller stance?

Last edited:
Back