Replace these trailer wheel studs?

The classic advice of using a wire wheel or wire brush is simpler and better.

Electrolysis cleans the surface to bright metal, but leaves embedded hydrogen. That's bad on a stressed stud -- you don't to risk crack formation
The hydrogen problem can be eliminated by baking the part at 350° for 4 hours.

But how many people would have the presence of mind to do this and understand the how and why? So yeah, it's better and simpler to use a wire wheel.

I use about 75% of the recommended torque... It hasn't resulted in prbs for me yet. Using grease, some of the "light-ends" in the grease soon flashes-off and it becomes stickier, but lugnuts come off when loosened, NP.

Not scientific I know.
I would think with grease on the threads it would need more torque rather than less torque.

I would think with grease on the threads it would need more torque rather than less torque.
No the lubricant reduces the friction in the threads so the clamping force is actually higher. One can easily over stress a lubricated fastener using a torque measurement and sometimes to failure. Torque is actually a poor surrogate for clamping force and thread condition is one reason why.

No the lubricant reduces the friction in the threads so the clamping force is actually higher. One can easily over stress a lubricated fastener using a torque measurement and sometimes to failure. Torque is actually a poor surrogate for clamping force and thread condition is one reason why.
Indeed … lower coefficient of friction at the same torque exerts a higher tension load on fasteners

Last edited:
You have the hubs off. If you plan on keeping the trailer, why not put new hubs on with fresh bearings for less than $100 each. Just say’n. ;)
Because new hubs made in China with Chinese bearings probably wont last 3 years let alone 30. Got 4 sets of Timken bearings made in the USA for $35 plus CR seals for another $15. Had a tub of Mobil 1 grease and put them back together with the original studs.

Because new hubs made in China with Chinese bearings probably wont last 3 years let alone 30. Got 4 sets of Timken bearings made in the USA for $35 plus CR seals for another $15. Had a tub of Mobil 1 grease and put them back together with the original studs.
This sounds like the best possible outcome.

A bit of exaggeration I’d say. Plus, I said nothing about China. But if you want to talk about it, China’s products are rapidly improving and you need to take heed of it. There are now several levels of Chinese made products from entirely seperate factories and businesses. It’s all about quality control. GM has embraced China as a supplier and even GM has at least three levels of product quality. Everyone loves China banging but America is losing badly. By the way you can now buy Buicks made in China. Think their bearings will fail in 3 years? How about the wheel bearings in Chinese made Teslas?

Back