Replace the Entire Hose Bib....?

One of our two outside faucets is leaking. Specifically from where the base meets the brick.

It’s not a washer under the handle nor is it the anti-siphon valve.

I was thinking I could simply replace the 8-10 inch stem, but most of what I see online is multiple parts. Would it make sense to simply replace the entire hose bib?

Fortunately, we have a dedicated shutoff to the two outside hose bibs so I can keep it off until I fix or replace it.

This is the original hose bib installed when we built the house 29 years ago so it’s tough to complain about it leaking at this point.

A878A84B-452C-4CC1-A220-B41B7F295706.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I just did this very same repair early this summer. Had the plumber change them out at the same time he was replacing my hot water heater, which was pushing 26 years BTW. Change the whole bib, you will not be sorry. You got your money's worth.

If it is indeed leaking where you describe (not leaking somewhere else and moving/dripping at the base), then it seems the only cause would be a crack or failing joint. The only alternative is to replace the entire hose bib.

My parents have that style faucet on their house. That’s just the valve with a separate piece of pipe threaded in right? You can go behind the wall and tighten the pipe going into the faucet, but you’ll have to reseal where it goes in. With the work involved and the risk of it not working, you might as well replace it though.

The Skarkbite fitting seems interesting. Anyone have any experience with them? Call me old fashioned, but it doesn’t seem like it would hold up.

It should be replaced. The frost free unit that you have cannot be tightened by twisting. It does not have the seperate pipe going into it. And the Sharkbite one is great if properly installed. Be certain to anchor the outside properly to the wall. It does not look like your existing one is anchored into the wall. No big deal but a real NO NO with Sharkbite.

I some what agree with walterjay, Shsrkbite need to be completely anchored and secured otherwise they will leak. I'm concerned about the longevity of the washer O ring. I'd rather use a compression fitting over a Sharkbite but my preference is always going to be a proper soldered joint. To get a soldered joint I'd do a sheetrock repair.

Leakage inside the wall when the faucet is on means that the outer pipe has cracked. This is almost always from a freeze event with the hose attached thus the outer pipe could not drain.

Inspection, repair or replacement always starts by detaching the inlet connection inside and pulling the whole assembly out of the wall.

And yes it should be screwed to the wall or there will be stress on the supply pipe which can lead to a major interior leak.

Back