Replace jack wheels with nylon / polyurethane?

I do all my work in my driveway. My driveway is not a smooth concrete finish, but rather comprised of bonded (not loose) gravel rocks (not sure the correct term). Bottom line, is that the jack does not roll smoothly on it, and when I'm jacking up the car it does not always jack smoothly as the wheels have to make their way over the small stones. I could resolve the second issue by using some plywood or some such, but I am wondering if it would be feasible to use a hard rubber instead? Anyone heard of this?

I replaced the six wheels on my creeper with polyurethane - they work great. But the six of them only support 200lbs. So, about 33lbs each.

You're asking four wheels to support a car. Nearly 1,000lbs each.

What's the weight rating for those wheels? 100lbs? 200lbs?

I think you'll distort/crush nylon wheels on the first use of your jack.

They make an “off-road” car jack that goes over dirt and gravel. I’d look into that personally. A traditional jack on gravel isn’t safe. It’s supposed to be able to move with the jack.

I can’t see nylon making the difference you think it would honestly. Jacks are heavy and their wheels are small. The wheels will likely sink into the gravel too and could snap.

Just want to be clear, my driveway is not loose gravel. It looks like this:

1611072003218.png

OK.

Doesn’t really change the weight ratings of the wheels you’re proposing to use...

These are awesome wheels from a reputable manufacturer.

The notes say for creepers, small tool chests, stools and various racks and carriers. They do not list a maximum weight rating. If you’re going to try this, I would at least use a good quality wheel. I still think it will fail, but a better quality wheels stands a better chance.

Suspension components use polyurethane bushings - they (poly wheels) could be plenty strong for the jack, you just won't be able to easily find any with weight ratings, I imagine.
I guess it wouldn't be too big a safety issue, as long as your are careful and think of possible fail scenarios during the lifting. Once on a stand, it doesn't matter and you're safe again.

And yes, exposed aggregate is the correct term.

What you want is a steel plate(s) to place the jack on. 3/16" thick should work. You could use two smaller plates or one big plate.
Round off the corners and file the edges on the plates to prevent injuring yourself. Tack weld a bolt positioned horzonitley to aid in lifting the plates off the driveway.

Suspension components use polyurethane bushings - they (poly wheels) could be plenty strong for the jack, you just won't be able to easily find any with weight ratings, I imagine.
I guess it wouldn't be too big a safety issue, as long as your are careful and think of possible fail scenarios during the lifting. Once on a stand, it doesn't matter and you're safe again.

And yes, exposed aggregate is the correct term.
Polyurethane enclosed by steel is very different, as are the forces involved.

I don’t know about that. I would only use metal wheels on a Jack. Maybe coat them in something but I wouldn’t take the metal wheels off.

Plywood would deform to your driveway better. Metal would "polish" the high spots on the rocks and might not sit evenly, which could be unsafe. 3/8" plywood would be fine, but, realistically, use any scraps you can come up with.

what kind of jack do you have?

I would think that anything smooth under the jacks wheels would assist the jack wheels moving, whether it be a steel plate, plywood, or even some vinyl flooring. You’d obviously have to replace vinyl and wood more often than steel.

Im not convinced changing to composite wheels will assist in the wheels rolling. Maybe a Jack with bigger wheels or a more stout frame can help rolling. The “off road jack” brand that someone was mentioning is the Pro-Eagle brand. https://www.proeagle.com/collection...MI1vazyrmu7gIV-BitBh0GrwYDEAAYASAAEgLYY_D_BwE

As for composite/plastic wheels, AC Hydraulics and Norco make jacks with non steel wheels. They sell replacement parts. dont know if it’ll fit or if you might have to modify your jack a bit to get them to fit but:

This isn’t hard...

The rear section of my driveway is asphalt but it is rough (larger aggregate?). The long section of my driveway, all the way to the street, is pavers. At my other property, it’s 3/4” stone.

None of these are ideal for jacks.

For the asphalt and paver sections of my driveway, I started with 5/8” plywood, and have used heavy pieces (3/4”), but found that the super thin luan 1/4“ type stuff works just as well, so I use that.

On the stone, I do run 3/4” plywood, and it works fine even for lifting my 3/4ton diesel pickup.

No need for metal or fancy wheels. Just plywood scrap of any thickness.

Back