Replace cat 2016 Cmax SE

Possible to remove the catalytic converter/exhaust manifold unit w/out pulling the engine? It is between the engine and firewall. Supposedly this is a cat/manifold 1 piece assembly. Only found one at Autozone $700+. All the other ones I see listed for this car are the "universal" type. Would a muffler shop be able to cut off the old cat and somehow join the new one to the manifold?

Local repair shop did not want the job. Said dealer wants about $2100 for the job. Said it is a 2-1/2 hour R&R job. I am guessing 1 weekend for me if I had the time. Service manager at our local shop suggested just driving it until the light comes on and stays on. P013A code - rear sensor indicates slow rich to lean. Sensor is good. What is causing the slow rich to lean? I think that is what is fouling the converter, running rich too long. Sounds to me like there is an engine management issue.

How many miles on the car? If you have less than 80k, it shouldn't cost you anything because of the required federal warranty of 8 years/80k

If you have more than 80k, you could need a new sensor, especially if you're well over 100k

according to the service manual( i have an old digital copy, doesn't list times) you have to remove the cowl panel, disconnect some cooling lines/heater hoses, and drop the subframe, which also requires disconnecting the electric steering rack, and the steering shaft. (and since you're disconnecting the electric steering rack, you have to disconnect/isolate the 12v and High Voltage battery first...)

and yeah... totally out of stock @ rock auto
fordparts.com, the non Californian emissions, $697 on backorder...
the Cali version shows next day availability, and only $681... (prices and availability my vary by local dealer)

Attachments

• c-max cat.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Back