Rental Review - '22 Camry SE

And the current version ain’t going far offroad, not with typical Camry ground clearance! heck, it won’t go far onroad, not in the snow either. Just enough to help people who refuse to get snowtires really, maybe a pinch of help for those dealing with inclines, maybe.
The 4th Gen Camry's are offroad beasts :cool: look at mine!

97D3993B-6DAA-4BEF-A779-612E351DB42F.jpeg

I’m pretty sure it was not available continuously. At times, yes, but not every year. And the current version ain’t going far offroad, not with typical Camry ground clearance! heck, it won’t go far onroad, not in the snow either. Just enough to help people who refuse to get snowtires really, maybe a pinch of help for those dealing with inclines, maybe.
Some buyers want AWD whether they need it or not. Toyota builds what enough people want.

To clarify, this was the last time that AWD could be had on a Camry...it has now returned as an option after nearly 30 years of FWD only Camrys.
The funny part was the Camry was on its own platform when the All-Trac was a thing - there was also an All-Trac Celica(also it was a turbo too, 3S-GTE), itself Corolla based and the Previa also an All-Trac option; it competed with the AWD Chrysler vans as well as the 4WD Astro/Aerostar. There was also a Tercel 4WD but it wasn’t an All-Trac I think. It was a manual shift system like an old Subaru.

With TNGA, the current Prius and Camry share platforms and Toyota didn’t need to go far to get parts. The Sienna and RAV4/Highlander offered the parts to make the Camry go AWD, the Prius AWD uses AWD-e, using a dedicated inverter for the rear axle but mostly the same axle as a RAV4 Hybrid/Lexus NXh and the proposed Corolla Cross Hybrid.

The newer Camrys ride a bit more confident. TNGA provided a dynamic improvement - it still feels like a Toyota but doesn’t feel as “nervous” as one usually is.

the first gen was the very best car my family ever owned. the best camry model was gen 3 . best car ever built period. do NOT get the v6 in any camry. its not needed and adds cost when service is due

Back