Rental Review - '22 Camry SE

I'll come clean.

I was pleasantly surprised. The ride was compliant, the car was quiet, and it had adequate power. The 8 speed tuning was great, it held selected gears with the paddles, and the car handled 100mph on 35E with no drama.

I'm not a fan of Toyota's infotainment or the general exterior styling, but I'll concede that the Toyota Canry is a Good Car™.

A far cry from what my mom used to drive.

The Camry offers a few things not every mid sized car shopper knows about.

You can still buy a 2023 Camry with a V6. You can get AWD on any non hybrid 4 cylinder trim.

The AWD option price varies depending on the trim. $975 on a LE, XLE and SE, $1400 on the Nightshade SE, $475 on a XSE

The V6 does a 14.2 second @ 101 MPH in the 1/4 mile. The TRD V6 does a .94G on the skidpad which is in sports car territory.

I'll come clean.

I was pleasantly surprised. The ride was compliant, the car was quiet, and it had adequate power. The 8 speed tuning was great, it held selected gears with the paddles, and the car handled 100mph on 35E with no drama.

I'm not a fan of Toyota's infotainment or the general exterior styling, but I'll concede that the Toyota Canry is a Good Car™.

A far cry from what my mom used to drive.
I worked in Honolulu last week, and like you had a Camry for a rental car. Very nice car in every aspect. I would not hesitate to buy one in a heartbeat. I had no idea AWD was an option.

The Camry was never available with a 6-speed manual transmission in North America until the XV40 in 2009. There were very few of them manufactured.
I had one and it was not anything all that special (well it was base model and all). I sometimes thing I must have bought the last one, of like the 3 made for the year. Not very common at all! and pretty much a gimmick, 5&6 were too close together.

Anyhow. Not sure what this SE has different than my hybrid. Did not cross shop as the wife only wanted a hybrid. I’m guessing same interior, so that means, again nothing special. Better than my ‘11, possibly worse than my ‘99, but I guess it depends on what you want.

I’m pretty sure it was not available continuously. At times, yes, but not every year. And the current version ain’t going far offroad, not with typical Camry ground clearance! heck, it won’t go far onroad, not in the snow either. Just enough to help people who refuse to get snowtires really, maybe a pinch of help for those dealing with inclines, maybe.

Well not with that attitude
If I have to jack it up in order to change the oil, then it has very little ground clearance, and it’s going to get high ended very quickly. Once they start plowing it will meet its match, and in a hurry. It gets much more than 4” on the road we just stay home.

Yep. They called the system "All-Trac" and it could also be had on Corollas, Celicas, and Previas. Some of them even came with ABS and electronic traction control. They didn't manufacture many of them.

Last edited:
If I have to jack it up in order to change the oil, then it has very little ground clearance, and it’s going to get high ended very quickly. Once they start plowing it will meet its match, and in a hurry. It gets much more than 4” on the road we just stay home.
It should. I was off roading with my BMW on track on Friday, probably doing 60mph :).

Yep. They called the system "All-Trac" and it could also be had on Corollas, Celicas, and Previas. Some of them even came with ABS and electronic traction control. They didn't manufacture many of them.
To clarify, this was the last time that AWD could be had on a Camry...it has now returned as an option after nearly 30 years of FWD only Camrys.

Back