Rental Review: 2022 Mustang EB/10A

I'll keep this review short, as I'm sure many of you are familiar with the rental-spec Mustang's commonly ordered by rental fleets. As I feel a shout-out is in order: hats off to the Thrifty staff at LAS. When I arrived, the Thrifty counter was closed, with signs directing customers to the neighboring Dollar counter. The process was as seamless as they come: the deposit was exactly what I'd expected, there was no pushback RE add-ons, and I was assigned exactly the car I'd reserved.

The only (brief) hiccup came when the check-in host informed me that it would be a 30-45 minute wait for my car. Of all the possible issue, that's one I can relate to. This is Vegas, draft week, end of the school year. Drop tops are in high demand. Much to my surprise, I walked down to the parking garage where I was immediately greeted by a lot agent who motioned towards a row of 4 Mustang's ready to go, keys waiting. The only choice came down to color: all were 2.3 EB models.

This is the second Mustang so equipped that I've rented, and I can confirm that my feelings haven't changed. The ride itself is comfortable, the seats are great, the climate control is strong. The Achilles heel lies with the powertrain. I just can't accept the 2.3 as a substitute for a proper V8. It's wheezy, lumpy, and peaky. Not to mention it makes terrible noises!

The last Mustang i had was a 2019 5.0 drop top that was the last on the lot at closing time.
I'd actually rented the cheapest car in their lineup for the weekend (Spark equivalent), so you could imagine my astonishment when i realized what I was getting for $20/day.

At the end of the rental, my GF and I were smitten from the driving experience.
But my wallet (from the thirsty V8) was really hurtin'!

Car rental for a weekend - $40
Fuel for said rental - $180
Memories of using the "line lock" feature on a desolate highway mountain road at 5am - priceless

Good quick and to the point review.
Mustangs just aren't right without a proper V8.
In todays times, a good V6 is, Mmmm, OK I guess but 4 cyl, even though they're powerful, just doesn't(Hmmm, yes & no) belong in a Stang.
I guess a 4 banger is OK for those on a budget and who still want a Mustang.

An EB 4 cyl in a proper sedan or compact CUV is fine IMO.
I mean, every engine today is really good but, in the right application.
I have driven so many wonderful vehicles today that there really isn't a bad car in the many that I've driven.
Just some that are a bit better than others.

I mean, what would I buy?.......remains to be seen! :unsure:

I briefly considered a GT, but I realized I'd be paying a $10K premium for something I would never get to use. 310hp is hard enough to fully utilize on roads as they are today. 460 is just a waste living and working in the city. Having the extra ponies is nice, but by the time they're all galloping, it's time to hit the brakes. I guess if you live in the country or spend time at the track, it'd be worth it.

I agree. The 21 I rented was passable in all areas but the noise. It sounds like a toy remote controlled plane. I felt like I was mowing the lawn.

I briefly considered a GT, but I realized I'd be paying a $10K premium for something I would never get to use. 310hp is hard enough to fully utilize on roads as they are today. 460 is just a waste living and working in the city. Having the extra ponies is nice, but by the time they're all galloping, it's time to hit the brakes. I guess if you live in the country or spend time at the track, it'd be worth it.

I've found myself thinking this exact thing as I get older! Perfect example: my '00 Grand Cherokee with the 4.7 V8. I snagged this truck as a replacement for the previous 4.0 GC I owned. I will admit, always enjoyed the torque of the 4.0 I6, given it's relatively modest power output. My one complaint was a lack of passing power at speed. Around town, it was never much of a concern... it was the two-lane passing maneuvers while trekking to the cabin that got a bit hairy.

Although the 4.7 is mostly disregarded by those in the industry, it's proven itself MORE than adequate to power a WJ. 235 horse, 295 torque matched with a... dare I say "sporty" 3.73 rear axle ratio. For comparison: my 2003 Mercury Marauder took 7.5 seconds 0-60. A 4.7 WJ has been measured anywhere from 7.2-7.5 seconds. Not bad for a family hauler that was on the market along side the Marauder!

Good quick and to the point review.
Mustangs just aren't right without a proper V8.
In todays times, a good V6 is, Mmmm, OK I guess but 4 cyl, even though they're powerful, just doesn't(Hmmm, yes & no) belong in a Stang.
I guess a 4 banger is OK for those on a budget and who still want a Mustang.

An EB 4 cyl in a proper sedan or compact CUV is fine IMO.
I mean, every engine today is really good but, in the right application.
I have driven so many wonderful vehicles today that there really isn't a bad car in the many that I've driven.
Just some that are a bit better than others.

I mean, what would I buy?.......remains to be seen! :unsure:

I agree and think that the 2.3L Ecoboost engine is terrific in a truck or SUV application but I would not want one in something like a Mustang.

I'll keep this review short, as I'm sure many of you are familiar with the rental-spec Mustang's commonly ordered by rental fleets. As I feel a shout-out is in order: hats off to the Thrifty staff at LAS. When I arrived, the Thrifty counter was closed, with signs directing customers to the neighboring Dollar counter. The process was as seamless as they come: the deposit was exactly what I'd expected, there was no pushback RE add-ons, and I was assigned exactly the car I'd reserved.

The only (brief) hiccup came when the check-in host informed me that it would be a 30-45 minute wait for my car. Of all the possible issue, that's one I can relate to. This is Vegas, draft week, end of the school year. Drop tops are in high demand. Much to my surprise, I walked down to the parking garage where I was immediately greeted by a lot agent who motioned towards a row of 4 Mustang's ready to go, keys waiting. The only choice came down to color: all were 2.3 EB models.

This is the second Mustang so equipped that I've rented, and I can confirm that my feelings haven't changed. The ride itself is comfortable, the seats are great, the climate control is strong. The Achilles heel lies with the powertrain. I just can't accept the 2.3 as a substitute for a proper V8. It's wheezy, lumpy, and peaky. Not to mention it makes terrible noises!
Sadly gone are the days of HERTZ Shelby

Sadly gone are the days of HERTZ Shelby

Back