Rental Review - 2018 Nissan Frontier Pro 4X

Status
Not open for further replies.

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
Had this for two weeks down in NC. My apologies to buster in advance.

This is perhaps the most dated feeling new vehicle I've ever driven. My sister's '03 330i feels newer, which is quite a feat! It very much presents as being late 90's and this is only betrayed by the navigation system, which is more like 2006 Dodge vintage.

The truck is thirsty for its size. A full size driven reasonably would yield better mileage. Ride is harsh and the vehicle is quite loud. The engine has decent power, but it isn't smooth or refined feeling in terms of delivery or sound. The interior is extremely basic and somewhat cheap, which would be par for the course if this was 2001, but it isn't and truck interiors have improved leaps and bounds in recent years.

The steering wheel controls are as awkward as they look. Also, I'm not sure what is Rockford Fosgate about the stereo other than the logo on the dash...
21.gif
it was far from impressive.

On a positive note, the gauges are pretty decent and easy to read and the bed is quite easy to get things in and out of. The seats were not too bad, though I can't see myself being in them for any extended period.

For somebody looking for an extremely basic truck on which there isn't much to fail and doesn't mind the fuel consumption of a pre-MDS HEMI with the ride of a 3/4 ton and the turning radius of a long box crew cab dually, I think it's a decent fit. I would expect that the Ranger and GM offerings would be more in-line with what the modern 1/2 tons are bringing to the table in a downsized form.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

LOL it's ok.
cheers3.gif
I've found it interesting to read the wide range of views on this truck. My favorite was from Car and Driver:
Highs:
Affordable work-truck abilities, configurable cargo box, decent driving dynamics.
Lows:
Ancient-looking interior, few desirable features, old enough to attend middle-school dances.

You'd be surprised how many people can't stand the new Tacoma more. Basically the same people that wish Toyota stuck with the 4.0L and prior transmission are the same people that like the current gen Frontier. The 4.0L is definitely thirsty. I drove the Colorado and it was nice, but the interior felt cheap to me (typical GM). The Frontier has a good, solid build quality (fully boxed ladder frame), and it's reflected in the JD Powers 4 year in a row IQS winner. (however being as old as it is there should be no quality issues LOL!) There is also a class action lawsuit on the GM 8speed. The Frontier is not a truck for everyone that's for sure. A lot of folks still don't want to see it change. They know what's coming....a 20 speed automatic with cylinder deactivation. They will ruin it like they did the Pathfinder.

Drive the Tacoma next if you can. It's horrendous. It can make up its mind of what gear it should be in. Has less torque than Hp. It's really bad. Of course it is subjective though.
smile.gif

My uncle bought a new Ram (Warlock). Really nice truck. I did like my 2005 Ram. That was high on my list as well. I just didn't want a full size and I wanted an off-road package. Mine also has a rear locking diff (Dana 44).

I'll be changing my tune though if this truck gives me problems.
grin2.gif

The new Ranger is an interesting case since it's a global design that has been "Americanized" for the US market. I understand why it looks the way it does, but can't get used to it. It has the angles and shapes that I just associate with mid size trucks in Asia or Australia.

And boy are they expensive. I'm not sure if Ford wants to compete in that segment or if they're targeting consumers with an F150 budget but a small garage at home.

But the wheels on that Pro4x are killer looking.

Originally Posted by buster
I drove the Colorado and it was nice, but the interior felt cheap to me (typical GM).

I've rented both a Colorado and Frontier. The interior on the Colorado is like a Rolls Royce compared to the Frontier. I do like the old school cloth/velour seats on the Frontier, but everything else is cheap hard plastic.

Originally Posted by dishdude
I drove the Colorado and it was nice, but the interior felt cheap to me (typical GM).

I've rented both a Colorado and Frontier. The interior on the Colorado is like a Rolls Royce compared to the Frontier. I do like the old school cloth/velour seats on the Frontier, but everything else is cheap hard plastic.

I wouldn't got that far, but you're right the plastics are hard, but durable. Colorado is a nice truck.

Not trying to convince anyone of why I like it or bought one (I'm happy with it), but these guys summed up why I chose it. All 4 picked the Frontier. Impressive for a decade old platform. The ride quality is actually considered good by most - the off-road model in particular due to the tires/suspension. The Taco bounces around a lot more on pavement IMO. It also has the more torque of any of the trucks tested.

I loved everything about my Canyon when I had it except the transmission. Which is why it was traded for my Frontier. And you're right they are a Rolls compared to the Frontier.

I'm completely ok with the dated and plastic interior of my Frontier. As long is doesn't end up in the shop like my Canyon did or cost as much as a Tacoma does..all while fitting in my garage...I'm happy.

Ya I feel the same. Reliability is crucial to me so that has to be proven with this truck otherwise it will drop on my list.

None of the mid-size trucks ride as nice as the full size. Only the Ridgeline can match them IMO. For daily driving I feel the Honda is the best.

Ya I feel the same. Reliability is crucial to me so that has to be proven with this truck otherwise it will drop on my list.

None of the mid-size trucks ride as nice as the full size. Only the Ridgeline can match them IMO. For daily driving I feel the Honda is the best.

Agreed. I'm definitely a function over form kinda person. I personally like the "simplicity" of the Frontier. I tend to favor proven over new. The Frontier has gotten through it's teething issues.

But sweet baby Jesus the turning radius is abysmal. It's like turning the Titanic.

Well at least you don't have to change the frame when you change the transmission fluid
smile.gif

If I get another truck it looks like It will be a frame off resto.
Barrett-Jackson vintage auction vehicle.

Likely cheaper than a V6 mid sized pickup.

And It may appreciate

It likely will have a bench seat and not have that humongous worthless center console and Yuppie fairy gauges.

Funny thing I was gawking a mint older Explorer Sport Track on rout 95 South this past weekend

I thought it was a Nissan at first
smile.gif

Buster: enjoy that truck!

They must do a lot of rental car fleet sales, got another! I don't remember the steering being so heavy on the last one I had, this is a 2wd, previous one I drove was 4wd.

It has an iPod connection! Do they even still sell iPods? And that touchscreen isn't capacitive...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Trip A&B is the only info offered. Range, fuel economy, tire pressure - no way!

When was the last time you saw an e-brake like this?

More keys than a janitor!

Heh, they gave you all three keys? I guess as a rental they would do that, keep them all together, makes selling it off easier.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Had this for two weeks down in NC. My apologies to buster in advance.

This is perhaps the most dated feeling new vehicle I've ever driven. My sister's '03 330i feels newer, which is quite a feat! It very much presents as being late 90's and this is only betrayed by the navigation system, which is more like 2006 Dodge vintage.

The truck is thirsty for its size. A full size driven reasonably would yield better mileage. Ride is harsh and the vehicle is quite loud. The engine has decent power, but it isn't smooth or refined feeling in terms of delivery or sound. The interior is extremely basic and somewhat cheap, which would be par for the course if this was 2001, but it isn't and truck interiors have improved leaps and bounds in recent years.

The steering wheel controls are as awkward as they look. Also, I'm not sure what is Rockford Fosgate about the stereo other than the logo on the dash...
21.gif
it was far from impressive.

On a positive note, the gauges are pretty decent and easy to read and the bed is quite easy to get things in and out of. The seats were not too bad, though I can't see myself being in them for any extended period.

For somebody looking for an extremely basic truck on which there isn't much to fail and doesn't mind the fuel consumption of a pre-MDS HEMI with the ride of a 3/4 ton and the turning radius of a long box crew cab dually, I think it's a decent fit. I would expect that the Ranger and GM offerings would be more in-line with what the modern 1/2 tons are bringing to the table in a downsized form.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Big oof!

Honestly, if the external styling was in keeping with the interior, I'd find it rather charming. Being as it's not, I'm just nonplussed and disgusted.

It has all I need or want - rear locking differential, off-road package - V6 261hp 281lbs torque - smooth shifting 5sped trans - hill decent control - Bluetooth handsfree - solid build quality - $31k

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I don't think this is any nicer looking for $6k more. The Chevy and Ram are my favorite in terms of looks. Tacoma had the worst "on-road" driving dynamics of any truck I've ever driven. Off-road it's among the best. Frontier can hang with it though easily.

[Linked Image]

Frontier 4x will be my next truck after owning an F-150. I have a truck for an extra vehicle for work, towing etc. and don't want all the fancy stuff. I want it to be nice enough but work, last and be able to do basic repairs as needed in the long term.

I'll tell you what I don't like about - the seats look ugly (although comfortable) and it's thirsty for gas. That's about it.

Originally Posted by 2strokeNorthstar
Frontier 4x will be my next truck after owning an F-150. I have a truck for an extra vehicle for work, towing etc. and don't want all the fancy stuff. I want it to be nice enough but work, last and be able to do basic repairs as needed in the long term.

Sounds like a good fit for you. I'm going to jinx myself but in terms of quality, it's there.

Frontier was in the top in all of these sources.

https://www.nadaguides.com/Cars/New...pendability-study-most-dependable-trucks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DMZfDWOT6k

https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/the-most-reliable-new-trucks-on-the-market

https://www.cheatsheet.com/money-career/the-most-reliable-pickup-trucks-on-the-road-today.html/

https://repairpal.com/reliability/midsize-truck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back