Renewable Lubricants 0W20, 2013 Honda Oddysey, 8595miles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jon

FIRST Oil sample was Renewable Lubricants 0W20
Second was whatever the dealer uses.
I'll be due for another soon. Will likely use Renewable Lubricants 0W20 again.
Vehicle has just shy of 70K on it now, and has Renewable Lubricants 0W20 in it currently.

Code

OIL Renewable Lubricants 0W20 (first)

MILES IN USE 8.6k 8.5k

MILES 50k 59k

SAMPLE TAKEN 6/21/17 5/5/18

IRON 1 13

CHROMIUM
LEAD
COPPER
TIN
ALUMINUM
NICKEL
SILVER
TITANIUM

SILICON 5 12

SODIUM
POTASSIUM

MAGNESIUM 52 61

CALCIUM 2671 2210

BARIUM
PHOSPHORUS 894 686

ZINC 965 795

MOLYBDENUM 48 32

BORON

INSOLUBLES ? ?

WATER %
No coolant (either time)

FLASHPOINT �F ? ?

cSt @ 212�F 9.0 8.3

PQ Index

Left column is RLI? Showing zero wear over nearly 9k miles? You don't think that's suspect?

The second oil also had very low wear over essentially the same mileage. Not quite as good but pretty close.
I used a CENEX (CHS) oil analysis kit each time. I've used them before without issues.
As to whether or not I should be suspicious; I lack the qualifications and experience to know how unlikely results like the above are. The vehicle is very well taken care of. I use RLI's bio-plus fuel injector cleaner pretty regularly, and keep very good records as to fuel mileage, etc. I'm currently averaging 25.5 mpg in mixed city/highway.

JHZR2, I was thinking the same thing but didn't want to be rude... the column on the left looks better than most VOAs I've seen, including my own. No way it was tested correctly, or the OP's sample results got swapped for somebody else's VOA. OP's 2nd UOA looks pretty typical for an Odyssey from my experience with 2 different vans, so that's my basis.

I always could be wrong... but not likely in this instance.

Yea the first Colum is missing some digits. Lol.

A retest is needed. Seems RLI is AMAZING at producing literally zero wear.

Lab error is a possibility. In both cases, the dealer did the oil change for me and I received the sample bottle with fluid in it that was clearly not new oil. In another month or two I should have another sample to test.

Originally Posted by Jon
Lab error is a possibility. In both cases, the dealer did the oil change for me and I received the sample bottle with fluid in it that was clearly not new oil. In another month or two I should have another sample to test.

I would get an oil sample pump from either Amsoil or Blackstone and take a sample just before going in for an oil change. Unless you actually watch every step that the tech makes you really do not know what's going into the sample bottle. It probably wouldn't hurt asking the lab to retest.

The Left column of values appears to be a VOA of RLI whereas the second column appears to be a true UOA.

I also noticed no Antimony was shown and thought that RLI used it in all of their oils.

You might to contact RLI for confirmation of Antimony and have them send you a properties report.

Last edited:
Antimony was not shown on the oil analysis report. Not shown above is Vanadium, the only element I didn't show. In both analyses, the value was show as
Again: unless there was an error at the lab, the fluid samples I sent in were definitely used oil.

img.jpeg

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Trav
No way the first one is a UOA its a VOA.

Exactly what I was thinking.

Latest sample on the rightmost column.

Code

OIL Renewable Lubricants 0W20 (first and third sample)

MILES IN USE 8.6k 8.5k 9K

MILES 50k 59k 68K

SAMPLE TAKEN 6/21/17 5/5/18 2/13/19

IRON 1 13 10

CHROMIUM
LEAD
COPPER
TIN
ALUMINUM
NICKEL
SILVER
TITANIUM

SILICON 5 12 15

SODIUM
POTASSIUM

MAGNESIUM 52 61 69

CALCIUM 2671 2210 2093

BARIUM
PHOSPHORUS 894 686 764

ZINC 965 795 839

MOLYBDENUM 48 32 10

BORON

INSOLUBLES ? ?

WATER %
No coolant

FLASHPOINT �F ? ? ?

cSt @ 212�F 9.0 8.3 7.4

PQ Index

FWIW, we've had unusually cold weather - some sustained -20F or colder - which impacted mileage (down to 21mpg). Despite new snowtires and the single digit weather, we're averaging 24-25mpg again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back