Removing threaded fasteners safely

Status
Not open for further replies.
Say you dont use power tools or pneumatics. I hear/read an impact air gun is the best for removing subborn or stuck fasteners. Then you apply heat and penetrant for top of the line frozen fasteners. But what I am asking about is removing overly tight nuts and bolts with a regular wrench or ratchet.

Ok, so I go to remove my drain plug that is on there pretty tight. I can either, to exaggerate, put the wrench on the plug and tap it with a hammer to remove it. A sharp blow that is swift and delivers alot of torque for a brief moment.

Or I could lay into it with both arms and finesse it loose by slowly applying just enough torque to gradually loosen it (kind of the way you would tighten an oil filter).

So, I wonder which of these two, sharp and swift, or slow, smooth and gradual would be less likely to damage a fastener's threads by galling or stripping or whatever damage could occur. You can also comment on thoughts of the bolt head if you like, but I am most concerned with damaging the threads of the drain plug and the threads in the oilpan.

Thanks

I suggest a cordless impact if you do not want to mess with pneumatic.

A socket with some kind of handle attached to a 10' pipe will move something. Snapping the bolt may be what gives. If you have days to wait, soak with PB blaster daily and then try.

I had difficult to remove lug bolts on a trailer. I am squirted on PB Blaster daily and then tried my impact. It finally unscrewed with no damage after a few days. I was in no hurry. I already have dealt with a snapped bolt in a trailer wheel hub and a machine shop used a machine (??) to get it out.

Originally Posted By: Trav
A sharp swift rap works best, less chance of getting the bolt out without breaking it.

Agree.

I'd prefer to use the box end of a wrench and tap the wrench rather than a socket. Hold the wrench on with the palm of one hand, and a few light hits with a hammer. A box end wrench is far more controllable than a socket when hitting it with a hammer.

With a stuck fastener the pb-blaster or liquid wrench is a good idea. also always use a 6 sided tool and wrenches are preferable to short well sockets and double preferable to deep well sockets when doing it by hand. Reason is the transfer the rotational torque without applying side loads. Use both hands on the ratchet helps here one to butt up the socket head and one to pull opposite direction on the handle.

A drain bolt should never be so tight you can put a box end wrench on there and hit with the heel of your had a few times. If the threads in the pan are damaged use a Heli-Coil to fix em pretty cheaply.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
I'd prefer to use the box end of a wrench and tap the wrench rather than a socket. Hold the wrench on with the palm of one hand, and a few light hits with a hammer. A box end wrench is far more controllable than a socket when hitting it with a hammer.

My box end wrenches are 12 point and my sockets are 6 point. Would you still recommend using the wrench vs the socket?

I seldom use the box end wrenches at all because I thought the 6 point is much less likely to round off. This could be especially true when you start hitting on it with a hammer and it tends to get off center just a bit. The it starts to round off for sure.

The reason of this thread is I have stripped drain bolts before. I dont know how quik lubes dont do it everyday, because I generally notice it when draining hot oil....so now I always do cold oil changes even though I know it is not recommended.

I just didnt know what was pulling the threads out of the plug and drain pan. I didnt know if overtorquing was it, or if slowly removing the plug would shear the threads or if quickly removing the plug broke the threads when the plug broke loose.

Good advice by Danno! I have never intentionally tried to tighten before removal, but hopefully I will remember it if the situation presents itself.

Just don't tighten it first on an aluminum pan or god forbid a Honda aluminum pan it can break the threads depending on how tight it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back