Removing RTV Residue from Fiberglass

Any suggestions on how to remove RTV residue from fiberglass? I am resealing, rebedding actually, something that was sealed with RTV and I want to ensure proper adhesion with the product I am using; LifeCaulk. Permatex makes an RTV remover, but I am not sure about its affects on fiberglass.

I have a love/hate relationship w/ RTV. It is a wonderful product when used as intended, in fact it is so good that hacks (and not so hacks, me included) overuse it.... Case in point, the rudder port I am resealing. The PO used red RTV which is completely inappropriate and inadequate for anything below the waterline.

Thanks all.

Very gently with a razor blade or gasket scraper maybe. Fiberglass? That is going to be hard to remove anyway probably without destroying it. I would say like steel wool or a Brillo pad but that might destroy it worse.

Very gently with a razor blade or gasket scraper maybe. Fiberglass? That is going to be hard to remove anyway probably without destroying it. I would say like steel wool or a Brillo pad but that might destroy it worse.
Actually steel wool or Brillo would leave exactly the roughened finish that I want to use to bed the caulk. I'm concerned that any residue would hinder the bond...I may be overthinking this.

Luckily the area w/ the residue is recessed and will be covered by the square base of the port.

Thanks (y)

IMG_5797[17619].jpg

Actually steel wool or Brillo would leave exactly the roughened finish that I want to use to bed the caulk. I'm concerned that any residue would hinder the bond...I may be overthinking this.

Luckily the area w/ the residue is recessed and will be covered by the square base of the port.

Thanks (y)

View attachment 44738
Oh cool I was thinking you were doing something on a car lol. Is that like a shower outlet or something?

No, that is the bottom of an old inboard boat. There is a bronze threaded fitting that fits in there and is clamped to the hull by a very large, thin nut w/ integral washer. The rudder shaft pivots in the fitting.

SHAF66F.jpg

Amazon sells some products to remove RTV:

---------------------------------------------------------

Also, there are some YouTube videos on how to remove RTV. Here is one that show soaking it with WD-40 for a while and scraping and repeat the WD-40 soak and scrape some more.

It does look like the WD-40 attacks it some and makes it easier to remove some, but there is a limit to how deep it gets, so you may require a few cycles of applying the WD-40 and let it sit for a while and then scraping.

Last edited:
I would try heat and a plastic scraper first, before going to acetone.
Hair dryer or careful use of a heat gun and scrape. Acetone could damage fiberglass.

Any suggestions on how to remove RTV residue from fiberglass? I am resealing, rebedding actually, something that was sealed with RTV and I want to ensure proper adhesion with the product I am using; LifeCaulk. Permatex makes an RTV remover, but I am not sure about its affects on fiberglass.

I have a love/hate relationship w/ RTV. It is a wonderful product when used as intended, in fact it is so good that hacks (and not so hacks, me included) overuse it.... Case in point, the rudder port I am resealing. The PO used red RTV which is completely inappropriate and inadequate for anything below the waterline.

Thanks all.
I wonder if a rubber eraser wheel for removing pinstripes would be a safe chemical free way of removing the RTV?

What kind of boat is it? Any photos?

WD40 and plastic razor blade. I recently had to remove a bunch of black RTV some lunatic used seal a tail light housing and it got in behind the lens. I split the housing and used the WD and plastic razor and a stiff nylon brush, it worked like a champ but took a little work but no lens damage on a $400 tail light assy.

Back