removing moss!

with my car lining outdoors ll year and our 80~100% humidity and mostly dark climat, there are traces of "moss" growing along the edge of where rubber sealant meets the paintwork and the rubber blades at the bottom of the windows.
Not everywhere and not just a greenish surface dust but actual growth if you look closely.

Is there a product that can kill/ neutralise the moss while being safe on the paintwork?

Here in the PNW, any car outside any period gets this. Very similar to much of the UK climate. Here's some things I've learned to deal with it. If it's just a light line of mold like that, lube a toothbrush with WD-40 and drag/rub it along the window/seal line. Look around other places it will also be, like edges of the quarterlight mirrors/rubber, edges of any body side moulding, rubberized wheel arches, etc.

let that sit a while then do a really soapy wash and it will all come off and not come back quickly. WD-40 will loosen it and never damage paint. The silicone will stay behind and interfere with a good wax job, or smear windows, but a lot of good soap and some modest sponge work will get it off reasonably quickly.

The rubber seal/window line is always one of the first places for it to show up. It holds water and catches the mold spores, so ideal. A toothbrush there periodically will keep it from setting up and growing.

In the Pacific Northwest, we know a 1,000 ways to fight mold and moss... ;)

Reactions: GON
....... Is there a product that can kill/ neutralise the moss while being safe on the paintwork?

Just thinking out loud. But what about a spray on, ammonia based window cleaner? You know how when you use one, you try to "work fast" so as not to let it run down the window into the cracks? Well, how about letting it do so purposefully?

The ammonia in those cleaners isn't all that strong. But I can't see it doing living plant life any good at all. And most car windows always need cleaning. Especially in the rainy, sloppy weather that you have in the U.K.

thank you Oro. You know exactly the problem. I will try the brush with car shampoo first & see how it goes.

billt perhaps my lazyness is also part of the problem! But constant nasty weather deters you from going outside to do any cleaning:(

If memory serves, detailing forums shy away from ammonia products around rubber, i.e., not recommended for vehicle windows.

This product below claims it is safe for vehicles. It has the same active ingredient of products we use in greenhouses to manage algae. I would study vehicle use safety very carefully because it will be getting in tiny cracks and crevices.

I will start with toothbrush and see how it goes.
Glad to see the the problem is not uninque to me!

Agree with amonia being a no no.

We don't have wet & forget over here but caravan cleaning product can be an alternative

thanks

I'd dissolve baking soda in water and spray it on the moss to see if that will kill the moss before resorting to more drastic means.

Last edited:
finally got round to attack it. I used the simple method of using paint and tooth brushes (as oro suggested) when washing the car. A fair bit of stuff came out!!
So I guess I will have to do this a couple of times a year to keep on top of it. I intend to keep it simple; hopefully this will be sufficient🤞

thanks for sharing my situation is insignificant compared to this
:)

Having a car looking like this but mechanically sound has a lot of advantages in the uk: thieves look elswhere, cars move out of your way and you get plenty of space around you where you park!

Back