Removing A Bug.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Somehow got a bug on the computer that calls itself Malware Defense. Been trying to get McAfee software to download to remove it but are having problems installing that...related? Tried doing a system restore also...no luck there either.

Boot your computer in safe mode,then use the search to find the bug and manually delete it. Reboot your computer in normal mode and the bug should be gone. Bugs/viruses like these feed off the operating system,which is active during normal mode.

Last edited:
you are lucky you can get online. That thing installs proxy server into IE so you cant even use the browser. You need to boot into safe mode and at least not get it to load up by hand, then run AVG or similar. By hand I mean locate the file folder it started in, then search the registry for names of the files.

First thing I would do is download & install the free version of Malwarebytes and scan your system.

Link To Malwarebytes

2nd thing is I would download and install the free version of SuperAntiSpyware and scan with it if Malwarebytes don't remove it.

Link To SuperAntiSpyware

Before scanning you need should disable system restore or once you reboot, you could get infected again.

Post how you this works for you.

Hope this helps!

SrDriver

Originally Posted By: SrDriver

Before scanning you need should disable system restore or once you reboot, you could get infected again.

How about scanning is Safe Mode (F8 on bootup)? Would that work better?

Originally Posted By: SuperBusa

Many not be necessary but could help. In any event system restore should be disabled before scanning.

Originally Posted By: SuperBusa

Many not be necessary but could help. In any event system restore should be disabled before scanning.

How is that done? I think I'm going to download and run SUPERAntiSpyware also. If you saw my thread in this forum, I'm trying to clean up my machine too. Thanks for the help!
thumbsup2.gif

SUPERantispyware or Malwarebytes.

They can be downloaded onto a flash key and then installed if computer won't allow it.

Should do this in safe mode.

You can also download and use a program called "Hijackthis". It is a great program for disabling bad programs but you must be careful.

Originally Posted By: Warstud
Thanks guys I think I got rid of it for now. And I used Malwarebytes. The reason I couldn't get any software to download completely is because of a trojan rootkit. Anyway..here are the instructions I followed.

http://www.myantispyware.com/2009/12/20/how-to-remove-malware-defense-uninstall-instructions/

Thanks for that info Warstud. I think I'll try the "TDSSKiller" to see if my machine has a rootkit trojan. Could be why I can't seem to fix one issue still present even after scanning and fixing with many scanning tools.

http://support.kaspersky.com/viruses/solutions?qid=208280684

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back