Remote Inline Trans Filter wPics

Status
Not open for further replies.
07 2wd Toyota FJ Cruiser Remote Inline Automatic Trans Filter wPics

I recently flushed the trans fluid w/12 qts of Amsoil ATL. Since Toyota only installs a screen, I pieced together & installed a remote inline transmission filter system. While at it, I dropped the pan to clean it and the screen. Nothing was very dirty. The vehicle has 58k miles.

Parts list for remote system:
a) mount - $33
b) 3/8" clamps - $2
c) 6' hi-pressure 3/8" id hose - $15
d) Mobil1-204 filter - $13
e) Two 3/8" by 3/8 npt bent tube fittings - $10
f) One qt. of make-up fluid -$9
Total = $84

Here are 13 pics. The trans remote is on the drivers side, and there is an remote engine oil bypass filter setup on the pass side(separate thread).
http://s916.photobucket.com/albums/ad7/d...Trans%20Filter/

Hope this helps(you & me?)

Don

Looks like a standard Perma-cool, Derale, Earls, Wix, Moroso, or Trans-dapt 3/4" oil filter mount from the local speed shop(summit racing/jegs) or ebay. And, it'll use almost any 3/4" Ford/Toyota type motor oil filter.

Perma-cool.com website is coming up suspended. Hope that they are still in business.

Add a Filtermag or a couple neo-magnets to that Mobil1 filter and enjoy maximum ATF filtration.

Yes, a quality full flow filter, like the M1/RP/Ams/P1/KN/XG... along with a Filtermag or equivalent stick-on magnets, will easily outperform a Magnefine.

Remote filter head is a TRANS DAPT #1075, 3/4"-16 nipple thread and 3/8 NPT
http://www.tdperformance.com/products/?id=3313

I like Amsoil and/or Mobil1 filters for extended drain applications.
Here are some part#s:
All filter are 3.7" in diameter
7.04"tall = Amsoil EaO26
5.20"tall= Amsoil EaO15=Wix 51515=Fram PH8a=Mobil1-301
4.25"tall=Amsoil EaO96=Wix 51068
3.92"tall=Amsoil EaO42=Fram PH3651A=Mobil1-204

Originally Posted By: unDummy

Yes, a quality full flow filter, like the M1/RP/Ams/P1/KN/XG... along with a Filtermag or equivalent stick-on magnets, will easily outperform a Magnefine.

That's something I'd like to test. Racor make a 10u absolute trans filter, which is far better than even the RP and MI engine filters mentioned and if you added magnetic capability to that.... you'd have sumthin'.

Now the Magnefine has average filtration from it's 35u absolute filter but, according to Magnefine's testing, their magnet setup catches ferrous particles in the high 90's percentile because of the internal flow director and the close proximity of the magnets to the oil. Nothing I've see anecdotally disputes that so I've come to accept their data.

At this point, I'm not convinced that those filter mag devices can match that high 90's ferrous performance. I know they can catch stuff. Maybe lot's of stuff, maybe in the high 90s percentages, but the lack of proximity makes me wonder. Would be fun to find out one way or another.

Still, the cost issue comes into play. On one hand, you've got the cost of a filter base, the plumbing, an expensive filter ($10+ on the engine filters and up to $30 on the Racor fitler) plus the magnets (which are expensive) vs a $15 Magnefine that is about 90 percent as efficient. The higher cost of the spin-on is somewhat balanced by the higher capacity but, interestingly, the change intervals for the Magnafine and the Racor are the same, 30K miles, even though the Racor has some 10 times the capacity. I suspect Racor's recommendations are conservative and based on medium duty applications, which is their major market for the LFS kit. I would think that, after the initial clean-up of the oil (after trans break-in), a larger spin on filter would be pretty much a 100K gig. Even a Magnefine can be pushed farther than 30K after the oil is cleaned that first time. In order for the cost issues to balance, you'd need to run the spin-on/fitlermag combo a looooong time to balance the cost/effectiveness ratios of the simple Magnefine.

Oddly enough, I have had BOTH a Racor and a Magnefine on both my trucks for about two years now. I got them for tests, so cost was not the object. I did check the flow rate of the double fitlers (both their mfr rated flows and actual flow measured by me with a graduated container and a stopwatch) against the rated cooler line flow. I did oil contamination analysis on both setups and they were near enough to be even-steven. Either would be a major benefit.

The Magnefine reduced the ISO cleanliness code of the oil in the trans of my '05 F150HD from an already clean 15/14/12 (it was a fairly fresh change) to 13/12/9. That's an 81 percent reduction in the particle count in 2200 miles.

I installed a Racor LFS spin-on filter kit in my old '86 Ford diesel and it dropped from a 16/15/13 (again fairly fresh oil) to a 15/14/11 in only 274 miles, a 66 percent reduction in the actual particle count.

I haven't retested either truck with the double fitlration and probably won't unless I can get the tests comped. Maybe later when my paycheck improves again.

Here's a Magnefine cut open:
MF-1.jpg

http://www.magnafilter.com.au/magna-filter.html
http://www.emergingent.com/magnefine/force_field.htm

I prefer the ease of a stick on magnet. But, you can magnafilter/forcefield it if you want the magnet in the flow of the fluid.

There are also the "MagnaGuard" magnets that you stick into the filter. Definitely on my list of what not to do. But, should work if you don't have a front bypass and if it doesn't block the fluid flow. http://www.magna-guard.com/Images/NewBoxFB.jpg

Externally mounted recycled(free) hard drive magnets are great.

The real question is the capacity and capability of long term Magnefine usage, compared to Mobil1, Amsoil, Fram XG, or RoyalPurple filters, and compared with those filters with an internal/external magnet versus cost.

I'll put my Stilko SK12(PH8a sized TP) against the fancy brands any day. And, a Trasko will pretty-up the engine compartment too.

The only problem with the Racor LFS is the price and availability of non-Racor replacement elements.

Allison likes to use magnet in the ATF flow. That alone is proof enough that flow over the magnet is better.

http://www.magnafilter.com.au/magna-filter.html
http://www.emergingent.com/magnefine/force_field.htm

I installed a Magnafilter on one of my engines but the results of one particle count test I did were inconclusive. I didn't have the money to do a ferrographic test, so I'm in limbo on those engine products at the moment. I intend to run that device for another year or two, then remove and dismantle it.

I prefer the ease of a stick on magnet. But, you can magnafilter/forcefield it if you want the magnet in the flow of the fluid.

This is my big question. Are the stock-on magnets less effective than those in the flow? I haven't seen any conclusive tests.Any magnet would be better than none, so the hard drive magnets are probably a real cost effective way to deal with it and increase the effectiveness of the filtration. To bad I just crushed and tossed a couple of old Mac hard drives.

The real question is the capacity and capability of long term Magnefine usage, compared to Mobil1, Amsoil, Fram XG, or RoyalPurple filters, and compared with those filters with an internal/external magnet versus cost.

Yeah, the 64K question! As with any filter, life depends on a great number of factors, the amount of junk being generated being the first consideration. The average engine oil filter has some 10 times the capacity of a Magnefine. It seems clear that the Magnefine's 30K recommendation has some safety factor built in, but based on the studies done on automatic trans fluid contamination (all available for download at the SAE site), most of the lifetime of contamination is generated within the first 5K miles of operation (the actual stat Eleftherakis and Khalil use is 75 percent), so if you changed that first filter at 30 K, the second one might last double that, at least. These studies also list the amounts of contamination generated over different periods with an automatic and I spot checked those values with the capacities of the Magnefine and a couple of engine oil filters and the Racor. The Magnefine would go nearly twice it's recommendation based on that and the larger filters seemed pretty much unlimited. Bear in mind, those were just spot checks and there could be lots of other things involved but for a normal trans, I think they'd hold. And, you have the bypass to rely on in the end.

Speaking of which, anyone that wants to custom-fab their own ATF filter system had better put bypass capability first on their list. If you don't have it, and the filter plugs, your AT dies! Very quickly!

Allison likes to use magnet in the ATF flow. That alone is proof enough that flow over the magnet is better.

Not sure that's "proof" but it's a good indicator. In any case, I didn't know that.

More 'proof' is in the pan of most AT's. Magnets are on the bottom of most AT pans and in the 'flow' of the filter. Toss in magnetic drain plugs and it seems that the OE thinking agrees with magnets touching the fluid. I'm happy with my toss on magnets but if 'big OE' puts magnet in direct contact with the ATF, then there is a reason.

And my favorite, just can't get big enough magnets in the pan:
TSB # 08-07-30-040B

Originally Posted By: Jim Allen
It seems clear that the Magnefine's 30K recommendation has some safety factor built in

What 30K recommendation? I just bought a Magnefine, and right on the filter, it says to change it at 10K or 12 months. That sounds kind of early to me. I haven't decided how to handle it yet.

Hydraulic mount ..$30 (close+/-) delivered w/filter. 25um nominal and any finer you may desire and your wallet can handle. Two hose barbs and common trans line from NAPA. You'll get bored before you saturate the filter. Costs should be around $50 for the initial installation.

NorthernTool

Originally Posted By: Jim Allen

That's something I'd like to test. Racor make a 10u absolute trans filter, which is far better than even the RP and MI engine filters mentioned and if you added magnetic capability to that.... you'd have sumthin'.

Now the Magnefine has average filtration from it's 35u absolute filter but, according to Magnefine's testing, their magnet setup catches ferrous particles in the high 90's percentile because of the internal flow director and the close proximity of the magnets to the oil. Nothing I've see anecdotally disputes that so I've come to accept their data.

At this point, I'm not convinced that those filter mag devices can match that high 90's ferrous performance. I know they can catch stuff. Maybe lot's of stuff, maybe in the high 90s percentages, but the lack of proximity makes me wonder. Would be fun to find out one way or another.

Still, the cost issue comes into play. On one hand, you've got the cost of a filter base, the plumbing, an expensive filter ($10+ on the engine filters and up to $30 on the Racor fitler) plus the magnets (which are expensive) vs a $15 Magnefine that is about 90 percent as efficient. The higher cost of the spin-on is somewhat balanced by the higher capacity but, interestingly, the change intervals for the Magnafine and the Racor are the same, 30K miles, even though the Racor has some 10 times the capacity. I suspect Racor's recommendations are conservative and based on medium duty applications, which is their major market for the LFS kit. I would think that, after the initial clean-up of the oil (after trans break-in), a larger spin on filter would be pretty much a 100K gig. Even a Magnefine can be pushed farther than 30K after the oil is cleaned that first time. In order for the cost issues to balance, you'd need to run the spin-on/fitlermag combo a looooong time to balance the cost/effectiveness ratios of the simple Magnefine.

Oddly enough, I have had BOTH a Racor and a Magnefine on both my trucks for about two years now. I got them for tests, so cost was not the object. I did check the flow rate of the double fitlers (both their mfr rated flows and actual flow measured by me with a graduated container and a stopwatch) against the rated cooler line flow. I did oil contamination analysis on both setups and they were near enough to be even-steven. Either would be a major benefit.

The Magnefine reduced the ISO cleanliness code of the oil in the trans of my '05 F150HD from an already clean 15/14/12 (it was a fairly fresh change) to 13/12/9. That's an 81 percent reduction in the particle count in 2200 miles.

I installed a Racor LFS spin-on filter kit in my old '86 Ford diesel and it dropped from a 16/15/13 (again fairly fresh oil) to a 15/14/11 in only 274 miles, a 66 percent reduction in the actual particle count.

I haven't retested either truck with the double fitlration and probably won't unless I can get the tests comped. Maybe later when my paycheck improves again.

Here's a Magnefine cut open:
MF-1.jpg

The only problem I see is that in some case, the particles in the ATF are non-ferrous. I had a Camry with roughly 200K on it and Amsoil ATF in the transmission. I did a UOA and had high aluminum. I believe aluminum comes from the torque converter at least on the Toyota. Installed a Magnefine and ran some 6000 miles and retested and still had high aluminum. I am still sold on Magnefine as many cars do not have room for a remote trans. filter.

if you have room i recommend a baldwin b2 hpg filter. it's cheaper, and much finer than an m1 and still has plenty of flow

Remember the oil going through the oil cooler is the oil that comes from the torque converter which makes the heat. So only part of the oil goes through the external filter. The oil used for operating and lubing trans "leaks" back to the pan. Filters are good to extend the fluid life .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back