Reminder: AWD helps to go forward, after that, it is all about tires!

So this happened in NY state:

Driver obviously was launched by AWD, but I do wonder what tires it had? Anyone here with better computer to zoom one of those photos?

Doesn't help you stop either.

Best thing to do around where I live is to stay home. Sadly, my job requires attendance and I can't eve count the amount of stupidity I've had to deal with driving to/from work on snow days by people with 4WD/AWD that think they're invincible.

Right, so when I had my Audi and BMW, I was an OK driver, but as soon as I sat in the Subaru, I forgot how to drive?

If you got rid of your Audi and BMW for a Subaru as you enter your golden years, I can certainly see that happening. I was behind an Outback wagon tonight that accelerated so slow from a red light only 3 cars got through sticking me at the intersection for another cycle.

Subaru drivers are the absolute worst drivers on the road, second would be Toyota drivers.
I was guilty. My Forester's adaptive cruise control and lane-assist features made me a worse driver. I didn't realize how much I had come to depend on those things until I sold it and started driving my BMW that has neither. At least on the BMW I don't have to worry about turn signals..

Doesn't help you stop either.

Best thing to do around where I live is to stay home. Sadly, my job requires attendance and I can't eve count the amount of stupidity I've had to deal with driving to/from work on snow days by people with 4WD/AWD that think they're invincible.
That is why I said: after that, it is all about tires.

If you got rid of your Audi and BMW for a Subaru as you enter your golden years, I can certainly see that happening. I was behind an Outback wagon tonight that accelerated so slow from a red light only 3 cars got through sticking me at the intersection for another cycle.
An extensive catalog of crash videos on YT seems to provide a lot more video evidence that Jeeps and Malibus are significantly worse drivers, statistically, followed closely by jacked-up pickups with southern state plates or slammed pickups in Cali, and Honda Odysseys and CRVs. I’m sure I could come up with some more inaccurate stereotypes if I tried. Most, but not all, Subarus in crash videos are victims.

And it’s not Subaru’s fault that people don’t have the skills required to harness the capabilities; it would be like blaming Lamborghini for the idiots who get sideways on surface streets and jump the curb, removing $60k of carbon fiber ground effects in the process.

I blame the BMVs for not requiring dry, wet, snow, day and night driving to be part of the licensing test requirements, but we’ve already got way too much intrusion already. People need to learn that driving is a responsibility and therefore the onus of safe operation rests on their shoulders, not others around them.

1705814117711.jpg

That crash didn't have much to do with AWD or tires. Even on a dry road on a warm summer day it's likely that this crash would have happened. I think it had more to do with him trying to pass the semi with a giant plow-truck barreling towards him in the opposite direction.

Back