Remember when…

As mentioned earlier GM plush velour circa late 70s through late 80s. Very comfortable and you don't slide around in the seat. Some of the nicest seat I ever had in a car were in a 79 Buick Regal Limited. Pillow top velour. You could fall asleep in those seats

Don

Tesla has "Vegan Leather". Our Lexus RX has some kinda wannabe leather too, I believe.
Are yours white or black? Mine were black, and here in Phoenix that vegan leather was FIRE hot. Real leather doesn't get very hot. The Genesis were real black leather, not bad.

As mentioned earlier GM plush velour circa late 70s through late 80s. Very comfortable and you don't slide around in the seat. Some of the nicest seat I ever had in a car were in a 79 Buick Regal Limited. Pillow top velour. You could fall asleep in those seats

Don
My 91 Park Avenue had that type of fabric, very comfy seats.

every chance I get I avoid "cloth" I like to slip in/out, not have the stuff stick to my pants so on longer rides am able to shift around. Velour would B worse (v e r y nappy) leather OK, vinyl best.

pepperidge_farm_remembers.jpg

The vinyl on old cars was thick stuff but it still cracked and split. Two things would happen, the vinyl would stick up and cause a sharp edge that would get you. We used scissors to cut the offending edge off. The other was that the crack would pinch your legs. Especially painful when wearing shorts. We used nylon tape for that. This was before duct tape.

On really old cars with coil springs the spring tip would come through and puncture the vinyl. This required wire cutter dikes to cut the offending spring back.

Same thing happened with furniture as well. The old Naugahyde never held up well.

My favorite fabrics were the velours Honda used in the 80s Prelude. Most comfortable, attractive and supportive seats I've ever been in.

I prefer the way velour's little hairs grip your rumpus in turns. A leather seat has to fit or you can slide a bit.

A word on vinyl: I had a '76 Nova with an insanely bright red plastic interior. It was a rarity when someone didn't mention it at first sight.
That material lasted in all but unchanged condition.
I wonder if batches of vinyl vary as paint colors do.

Back