refurbished laptop, take 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I prefer small because it is easier to carry. I do not have a spare other than my current laptop which is slightly larger.

Understand. Consider a display for home use, makes a big difference. The OS supports a dual view setup, that laptop has a VGA port so its plug and play.

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
Understand. Consider a display for home use, makes a big difference. The OS supports a dual view setup, that laptop has a VGA port so its plug and play.

A dual display setup is nice. I have my laptop on a docking station running two external displays, so I have 3 displays total.

I wouldn't pay more than ~$199 for that notebook.

I've bought a LOT of refurbed notebooks and desktops over the years. It's the only way I buy them. I'd shop around some more. I like TigerDirect personally.

or you could get the new one I linked in the other post for 279$ thats faster and new.

I have an E6500 at work, it is actually a solid machine, and the screen is excellent.

It is probably one of the closer things youll find to a T-series.

I think it's a fairly solid choice.

That's about $70 more than I paid for the "Grade A" E6400 that I bought two months ago...

And be aware that there's two different screens available on these units.

Personally, I do not like the flat cutoff at the end of the mousepad. After working on it for awhile it cuts of circulation to part of my right hand, and a few fingers start tingling.

Rand: I saw the one you linked in the other thread. Are you sure it is faster? This one has a dual core more RAM and is "faster". I'm not sure how to compare differrent processors.

Shop around you can find a deal like that every week in best buy,staples,office depot etc.I found a asus with 6 gb and intel i3 with 640HD for under 400.00 it was a display on closeout.

Ive had some luck with refurb PCs over the years. I always added anit virus and that usually helped add life to the units. My last 300$ HP went about 2 years, but wasnt worth it to rebuild, so I went with a MacBook Pro refurb. I wanted something that would hold up long term and not be as susceptible to virus. It ran around 1200, but they were offering 0% financing on a credit card offer, so I paid it off within 5 months. Very very happy, this laptop was over 1700 when it came out 10 months before I got it. Mac.com/refurbished. We also use a refurb iMac at my shop and have had 0 issues as well.

If the drive spins at 5400 RPM instead of 7200 it's gonna feel sluggish sooner than later applications start competing for cycles. I'd look at the service manual for it on Dell's support site to see how hard it is to upgrade the drive later. A friend just asked me to reimage his Dell Inspiron and it is NOT trivial to R&R.
Separate thought - most OEM suppliers have a refurb sectionp; might be worth checking there too.

Originally Posted By: ag_ghost
If the drive spins at 5400 RPM instead of 7200 it's gonna feel sluggish sooner than later applications start competing for cycles.

Where do you find that information? I did not see it listed in the Latitude specs provided in that link.

(edit)

I found a site that reviews this Dell Latitude 6400. The hard drive does spin at 72, not 54.

Last edited:
My company provides me with an E6410 for work and I love it. You could pick up a cheap docking station for it and have a nice desktop replacement + portable machine.

actually I linked the wrong one.

The amd one has faster graphics and similar processor speed.

any intel sandybridge celeron would be faster.
(except ultralowvolt models)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back