Redoing my mower

Having recently acquired a new mower I am now left with my old one. I dont plan to get rid of this one since the engine works well. I decided for a nice little project to either redo the deck that is rusting or find a donor deck to transplant the engine to. I could leave it as is but it's something to do.
Just need to figure a way to get the paint stripped off so I can sand the rust off.

20240602_170226.jpg

20240602_170222.jpg

20240602_123910.jpg

20240602_123012.jpg

Pretty straight forward. Scrape, sand, treat, prime and paint.. Myself, I would have a good chance of finding a mower with a better deck in the rubbish having engine problems. Then make one good mower from the two.

Last edited:
i have "restored" many an old mower ..something interesting to do and not in a hurry project

I bought a brand new mower with a seized engine from Lowes 2 years ago for $15. I just wanted the deck.
did you just happen to come across that or were you looking for one?
I was browsing facebook marketplace for any non runners. I had to reactivate my facebook to do so. Best I have found is an old Honda Harmony II with a non working transmission and a smoking motor for $75.00. The deck looks ok from the pics.

did you just happen to come across that or were you looking for one?
I was browsing facebook marketplace for any non runners. I had to reactivate my facebook to do so. Best I have found is an old Honda Harmony II with a non working transmission and a smoking motor for $75.00. The deck looks ok from the pics.
I needed a Briggs and Stratton mower deck for a while. My mower had small wheels all around and was rusty. The broke mower had a larger deck and had the large rear wheels so it was a no brainier to buy that one.

Ok. While waiting on my new deck to get here (troybilt is super slow to ship) I'm trying to get a little housekeeping done to get parts ready to put the mower back together. The only major issue I have had with this mower is the wheels. One of the front wheels locked up tight. The rear wheels have bearings. I have removed them from the wheels and they do turn but not very well. Are these a servicable item or do they just need to be replaced ? It would be pretty cool to be able to grease em up and reuse them. Save me some money. The wheels are expensive too and I don't want to wait another few weeks for them to come in

20240611_205843.jpg

Are there any numbers on the sides? They look like a common 6203 or similar bearing with a metal shield. You could probably match them up at a decent hardware store or industrial supply house.

Are there any numbers on the sides? They look like a common 6203 or similar bearing with a metal shield. You could probably match them up at a decent hardware store or industrial supply house.
There is a Grainger warehouse in San Antonio that sells to the public. See if you can match up the size and type of sealed bearing that you need here:

Grainger Ball Bearings

That's one of the bearing sizes in most of the common mower deck spindles.
A super common size in general. They're used in most of the automotive idler and tensioner pulleys - I stock several and just replace them instead of replacing the whole pulley at a significantly higher price.

And how did you find that? Did they advertise it or what?

You'll know it when they do.
They will have them stacked in front of the place.
I have seen them stacked five or six rows deep at times.
What they really want to move is $20, however they may have some that they have refurbished that may be at a higher price.
Even if you see one of those, make them an offer. As long as it is within rational reason, they'll take it.

well I tried removing the seal while in a vise. That was a no go. I found some bearings on amazon that people said they used on MTD wheels. Will give those a shot. Good to know about the bearings you can get at grainger. If the HRX ever has bad bearings I know where I can go.
In my downtime I ordered some wheel bearing grease and fluid film for when I put everything back together.

Back