Redline Waterwetter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any reason to use the product? I keep my coolants changed in the recommended intervals and use the manufacturer's (see signature) coolants. I've never had a failed water pump, radiator, or an engine to overheat.
I know Redline makes great stuff, but what would the advantage be to using their Waterwetter?

Isn't for like 100% distilled water? If you already use a 50/50 antifreeze coolant mixture.. I believe there no need and you should save your money

Last edited:
I know that quite a few race teams use it in their race cars and report that it works well. In every race series that I know of, race cars are required to use water without antifreeze. I don't think that it does anything in a street car using a water/antifreeze mix.

No compelling reason to use any of the WaterWetter type products with antifreeze. If you were towing heavy and right at the limit of overheating, and everything in the cooling system working as it should, WaterWetter might give a very slight advantage before overheating. Or it might not. I've tried it. No problem and no benefit. Antifreeze already contains surfactants that do much the same job as WaterWetter--promote heat transfer between metal parts and coolant. WaterWetter does more, but antifreeze does that also.

Yes, modern anti-freeze no longer needs additional surfactants and corrosion inhibitors. Only use RL WW in racing water-based cooling systems. I was using WW until recently, so this advice isn't coming from a RL hater.

If you're already using the recommended coolants and intervals, the only thing you might consider doing is a flush vs. drain and fill. Get rid of more old stuff. Some people prefer to drain and fill more often, but I say do it right.

I used WW in my FF Dexcool for around 4 years. Never a problem. This was before I got on BITOG, however, and have seen it cause some problems according to some members here. Haven't used it since, because I don't see a need for it.

Originally Posted By: Ken2
No compelling reason to use any of the WaterWetter type products with antifreeze. If you were towing heavy and right at the limit of overheating, and everything in the cooling system working as it should, WaterWetter might give a very slight advantage before overheating. Or it might not. I've tried it. No problem and no benefit. Antifreeze already contains surfactants that do much the same job as WaterWetter--promote heat transfer between metal parts and coolant. WaterWetter does more, but antifreeze does that also.

That, and it costs $12 IIRC.

I put it in my cars and if you had some odd antifreeze percentage such as 30% the stuff is designed for 100% water applications.

It sounds good to use but it doesnt really do anything. And Dexcool isnt good anyways.

Same for WW competitors like Hy-perlube, etc.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
I believe it works best with 100% water IIRC. I don't see it as targeted to the daily driver market.

That is correct. It was designed for racing because a lot of tracks will not allow you to run coolant. If your coolant leaks onto the track, it could cause an accident. I know the drag strips around here didn't let people use coolant in their race only cars; only in street legal cars.

Last edited:
^^^ The same with many/most road courses.
wink.gif

Would this have any advantage in GDI engines using a standard ethylene glycol base for an aluminum radiator? I've used this stuff for years but from everything I am reading here it seems that this stuff has no real advantage when adding to modern coolants...

2009 Dodge Charger 6 cylinder...squeeky water pump...dealership attempted to fix 3 times with zero success...They changed everything except the water pump! Put in a bottle of WaterWetter and squeeky waterpump was no more!

I know there are some pretty compelling reasons NOT to use it -- such as the fact that it can cause some nasty brown slime buildup in your cooling system. If you do a Google search on the words "Water Wetter brown" you'll see what I'm talking about. The problem is the brown gunk formed by the silicone in Water Wetter looks a lot like engine oil. Some people have made the mistake of thinking they had a cracked head leaking oil into the coolant. I'd avoid Redline Waterwetter because of this problem. There are better choices available such as Purple Ice, Hyperlube Supercoolant, Lucas Supercoolant, etc.

I used it in my FF Dexcool on my Silverado for 5.5 years. Did 2 drain and refills at the 5.5 year mark with Zerex Dexcool. The old FF looked fine. That's been my experience with Water Wetter. Not sure it did a whole lot, but it didn't hurt anything either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back