Redline users - GDI Engines

Just curious who has used Redline in a GDI engine long term and whether you've inspected the valves?

Oil is chemistry and chemistry can be complex. There are different approaches for different engines and needs. Redline's stance on LSPI is that they don't have issues with it with their high performance RL chemistry due to the esters and higher levels of moly which help fight LSPI. Oils like Driven formulated a DI line which is mPAO/III/POE and has a lot of moly, but they dropped the high levels of Ca and replaced with Mg. Amsoil is more secretive and is likely using PAO/V (some have suggested 10-15% POE) but is also using a modern Mg/Ca combo.

HPL is kind of in the same boat philosophically speaking and has tens of thousands of GDI fleet vehicles running their HDEO for extreme intervals without any problems with LSPI or valves coking or exhaust after treatment issues.

I am taking the Pepsi challenge in my GDI 6.2 Yukon not only with a non dexos 1g2 0w-20 but with a 5W-30 HDEO from HPL at their suggestion. It's out of warranty so no worries there.

Last edited:
I'm going with HPL 0w20 as well. Great company and oil.
thumbsup2.gif

since Scams oil went tight lipped i quit using it. no DI vehicles for me but my 300 hp 2001 TT with a 4.25 sump gets redlines 15-50! as it uses some but less than others

Going HPL likewise.
Try to change my mind.
Just need to marinate on the SP changeover for a few days.
It sounds like these guys are dialed in.
Have mercy.
Look at that TBN.

Originally Posted by Direct_Rejection
Going HPL likewise.
Try to change my mind.
Just need to marinate on the SP changeover for a few days.
It sounds like these guys are dialed in.
Have mercy.
Look at that TBN.

Go with HPL.
cheers3.gif

Just curious who has used Redline in a GDI engine long term and whether you've inspected the valves?

Oil is chemistry and chemistry can be complex. There are different approaches for different engines and needs. Redline's stance on LSPI is that they don't have issues with it with their high performance RL chemistry due to the esters and higher levels of moly which help fight LSPI. Oils like Driven formulated a DI line which is mPAO/III/POE and has a lot of moly, but they dropped the high levels of Ca and replaced with Mg. Amsoil is more secretive and is likely using PAO/V (some have suggested 10-15% POE) but is also using a modern Mg/Ca combo.
The mega dose of Zinc should help with LSPI, very low Noack can only help prevent IVD. If you have a GDI engine you need to regularly clean the intake valves, every 20k will go a long way towards preventing issues in the first place.

The mega dose of Zinc should help with LSPI, very low Noack can only help prevent IVD. If you have a GDI engine you need to regularly clean the intake valves, every 20k will go a long way towards preventing issues in the first place.
I do mine every 5k with the OCI. I just empty a can of Berrymans throttle spray down the intake using the brake booster line off the intake.

Back