Redline shockproof in differential?

Just wondering if anyone has experience running superlight or lightweight shockproof in their differential either straight or mix with other gear oil? What is the review and the oil change interval you used?

never used shockproof BUT been using their 75-90 in the rear, there are several + their great MT90 in manual trannies, the only kind i buy!!

never used shockproof BUT been using their 75-90 in the rear, there are several + their great MT90 in manual trannies, the only kind i buy!!
Thank you, i also have good result with MT90 before, but some people complain about noise on their 75W90, that I also experiencing

l use their heavy in my diesel Rover differential. The diff is noisy, but the bearings and backlash are fine. I tried the Heavy Shockproof and it reduced the noise noticeably.

I use Redline gear oils in most of my fleet, except for the Porsches.

I changed my 80W90 with 75W110 Redline (GL-5) and that quiet a bit the differential.

Redline Shockproof gear oils are really not needed in a daily driver. In a racing vehicle in which a clutch may be popped on the starting line, yes, it might help.

The track guys used it a lot in the rear diff and transfer case in the Evo. These were the guys that had 99-100% track-only Evos; barely able to pull the car into a shop in one piece for a rebuild in the off-season. There were no reason for the DD folks to use it as any sort of noise usually meant you were about to have an expensive repair and no shops recommended any fluid other than the OEM 90w for all other uses.

I think there is a slight misunderstanding here, i think for the heavyweight shockproof I would agree only those with monster powered car may need it, but superlightweight shockproof is not even recommended for heavy load by Redline. The question is more related on the new generation SUV which call for 75w85 or 70w80 gear oil, so in this case with big tyre and heavy body, is there any merit to use superlight or lightweight shockproof? Or going 75w90 or 75w110 is better route with the sacrifice on fuel economy?

I'm a mixer! Also a pioneer of the Redline MT-LV and Superlight Shockproof 50/50 mix. Now used in 3 different VW 02J 5 speed manuals. It works very well for higher mileage VW gearboxes with worn synchros. I plan to try it out in my 02Q 6 speed manual next to see how it goes.

I'm a mixer! Also a pioneer of the Redline MT-LV and Superlight Shockproof 50/50 mix. Now used in 3 different VW 02J 5 speed manuals. It works very well for higher mileage VW gearboxes with worn synchros. I plan to try it out in my 02Q 6 speed manual next to see how it goes.
Do you mind to share the oil change interval for the mix?

Do you mind to share the oil change interval for the mix?
I don't know yet, MT-LV is a new product only out for a couple years. When I first tried blending them together I could not find any single vendor that sold individual bottles of both formulas it was so new. longest it's been is ~ two years and I sold that car to my Mechanic. He still drives it though.

I'd guess 70K miles on a daily driver since it's synthetic gear oil. Maybe 100K miles since it's Redline.

I have read the magic ingredient in shockproof is a megadose of calcium. I would think you would want to mix with a lighter than spec gear oil to account for half of that dosage throughout the final mix.
C.U.N. probably has the right idea with the LV.

I have pure heavy shockproof in my mustang's 7.5 rear and it runs great, biggest improvement of anything I've done to the car, but probably has more to do with replacing the gasket while changing. Plan to keep it until I find another fancy gear oil on sale cheap.

I have read the magic ingredient in shockproof is a megadose of calcium. I would think you would want to mix with a lighter than spec gear oil to account for half of that dosage throughout the final mix.
C.U.N. probably has the right idea with the LV.

I have pure heavy shockproof in my mustang's 7.5 rear and it runs great, biggest improvement of anything I've done to the car, but probably has more to do with replacing the gasket while changing. Plan to keep it until I find another fancy gear oil on sale cheap.
Thank you, i believe mola in the past mentioned about the calcium in the shockproof. I am just wondering why redliine does not recommend for street use if there is no water contamination and sub zero temperature exposure for open differential application. The reason OE manufacturer to go thinner is to increase efficiency, so if shockproof with extra slipperiness and adequate protection can do the same function, why is this inot recommended?

Thank you, i believe mola in the past mentioned about the calcium in the shockproof. I am just wondering why redliine does not recommend for street use if there is no water contamination and sub zero temperature exposure for open differential application. The reason OE manufacturer to go thinner is to increase efficiency, so if shockproof with extra slipperiness and adequate protection can do the same function, why is this inot recommended?
It has solids in it. It’s kinda chunky, maybe that’s why.

Finally had a response from Redline, the recommendation not for street use on diff is merely the look of the oil that may fail warranty and its design for transmission that makes it less slippery than their standardl gear oil.

Some might be shocked to know that guys with 12L diesels produce significant shock loads. Have used this in 4WD’s for years and it’s popular with Porsche trackers:

Some might be shocked to know that guys with 12L diesels produce significant shock loads. Have used this in 4WD’s for years and it’s popular with Porsche trackers:

Thank you, this should be good alternative to stay at 75w90 grade, even though I am looking one with less fluid friction and lighter viscosity. Mobil has it on the gear oil ls version but milder EP and perhaps less capability for extended drain.

around 2003 redline was really popular . More then amsoil . I know few guy using red line in their diff and they tow some serious heavy load all over United state . I was big fan of redline in my Mitsubishi Eclipse Gsx AWD turbo back when I was 18 .

Back