Redline D4 ATF in p/s

Status
Not open for further replies.
i had said something a while ago about using this in my '96 corvette. (dave's recommendation for my particular vehicle, over their p/s fluid.) it caused an odd, intermittent (but relatively high frequency) metallic clanging noise. it took a couple of flushes with the oem fluid to go back to normal, but the steering effort has remained higher, so some permanent change has occurred.

since the car is raced, and the ps pump is the original one, i shrugged it off as something wrong with the pump.

this past weekend i used the rest of the D4 ATF i had bought for the vette in the ps system of my subaru. it calls for dexron iii. rather than a complete flush, i emptied the reservoir and refilled with the D4, so it might be roughly 50% d4. immediately i noticed the steering effort had increased. not by a small, subtle amount, either. no noise, no other problems, but i don't understand why the lower hydraulic boost.

i did notice something odd. even though subaru calls for dexron iii atf, the fluid that was in the p/s system was not atf. at least, it did not have the color or smell of atf, it looked golden brown and had no discernable smell at all. (actually, it looked rather like the oem fluid called for in my vette.)

anyone know what's going on? given the respect redline has, i can't believe their products are that much worse than what comes in my cars.

-michael

quote:

Originally posted by Michael SR:
i had said something a while ago about using this in my '96 corvette. (dave's recommendation for my particular vehicle, over their p/s fluid.) it caused an odd, intermittent (but relatively high frequency) metallic clanging noise. it took a couple of flushes with the oem fluid to go back to normal, but the steering effort has remained higher, so some permanent change has occurred.

since the car is raced, and the ps pump is the original one, i shrugged it off as something wrong with the pump.

this past weekend i used the rest of the D4 ATF i had bought for the vette in the ps system of my subaru. it calls for dexron iii. rather than a complete flush, i emptied the reservoir and refilled with the D4, so it might be roughly 50% d4. immediately i noticed the steering effort had increased. not by a small, subtle amount, either. no noise, no other problems, but i don't understand why the lower hydraulic boost.

i did notice something odd. even though subaru calls for dexron iii atf, the fluid that was in the p/s system was not atf. at least, it did not have the color or smell of atf, it looked golden brown and had no discernable smell at all. (actually, it looked rather like the oem fluid called for in my vette.)

anyone know what's going on? given the respect redline has, i can't believe their products are that much worse than what comes in my cars.

-michael

Here's my thought, I believe the Power Steering fluids that were in your systems were of a slightly higher viscosity than the D4 ATF which has a cSt viscosity of 7.5 which is typical of most ATFs. I recently flushed and filled the DexronIII/Mercon out of my Ford F250 power steering system and used Redlines High Tremp ATF which has a thicker cSt of 10 and have been rewarded with easier and quieter steering.

Hammer

quote:

Originally posted by Hammer:

quote:

Originally posted by Michael SR:
i had said something a while ago about using this in my '96 corvette. (dave's recommendation for my particular vehicle, over their p/s fluid.) it caused an odd,
-michael

Here's my thought, I believe the Power Steering fluids that were in your systems were of a slightly higher viscosity than the D4 ATF which has a cSt viscosity of 7.5 which is typical of most ATFs. I recently flushed and filled the DexronIII/Mercon out of my Ford F250 power steering system and used Redlines High Tremp ATF which has a thicker cSt of 10 and have been rewarded with easier and quieter steering.

Hammer

I also have a 96 Corvette. GM calls out a thinner than normal PS fluid for them. Dave also recommended D4 to me over Redline's regular PS fluid. I was already using the Redline PS fluid with good results. The D4 is going to remain on my oil shrine shelf.

Late model C4 Corvettes have a reputation for "moaning sickness", many owners say the PS makes moaning sounds when it's cold. That may by why GM used a thinner then normal PS fluid. I have never experianced the moaning, but I live in a mild climate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back