Redline Article from Amsoil on Web

Status
Not open for further replies.
Although Red Line Oil is touted as a top-notch extended drain synthetic oil, oil analysis results show that, at least in passenger vehicle applications, it may not be useful for extended drains. The following oil analysis reports (both from March of 98) were performed on two different vehicles, and you will notice that these analyses were performed after relatively short periods of oil use.

Moreover, both of these vehicles have very limited mileage and are fairly new models. We would like to point out, though, that these are only two vehicles. This is not a large enough sample to draw any true scientific conclusions about Red Line synthetic oils. In addition, these oil analysis results do not necessarily have any bearing upon the usefulness of Red Line oils for racing applications.

Each analysis shows basically the same results: excessive wear metal content, low tbn value, excessive oxidation percentage and Molybdenum levels which are "over range". These results would seem to indicate that after a fairly short oil drain interval the Red Line Oil used in each of these applications is showing unacceptable levels of oil degradation, and the Polyolester base stock seems to be reacting negatively with the aluminum and lead materials in the engine.

In addition, the "over range" Molybdenum levels indicate that Red Line may be using a solid extreme pressure additive in its oils. Although this may be useful (but is not necessary with top-quality basestocks) in racing applications where metal components of an engine may be more likely to come in contact with each other, it is not necessary in a passenger car engine and can actually be harmful to the engine. This would make sense, otherwise there would be no reason for the lab to indicate the levels of Molybdenum to be "over range".

The test results for each of the three vehicles can

Buster,

This article was written by one particular Amsoil dealer and does not necessarily represent the views of Amsoil, Inc.

I have been an Amsoil dealer for over twenty years and also work as a propulsion engineer, with advanced polymer based materials - solid propellants, elastomeric insulation materials, composites, etc. I happen to think that Redline makes a very good synthetic oil, and their synthetic gear lubricants and fuel additives are excellent.

I would discount about 90% of what you find on the WWW ...

TooSlick

Yes, I'm aware of that tooslick. Most of all info relating to Amsoil on the www....is all dealer biased. That is why I think this is the best site out there bc everyone is doing there own analysis with many different oils. I absolutely agree 90% is probably false.

Without posting any link info, I'm almost sure I have seen this jobber's site before ... and he's one of the type of over-the-top Amsoil jobbers who have kept me from trying this brand of synthetic oil.
rolleyes.gif

And, it's frightfully easy to shoot holes in this site.

1) First of all, the data may be entirely false (made-up). It's just too easy to fake that kind of stuff on a website.

2) 2nd, OF COURSE the moly content will be out of range! Most oil analysis shows single digit amounts of moly from the rings ... that's it! Red Line intentionally puts a lot of moly in their formula ... and that's what the users of their products have come to expect!
pat.gif

3) Excessive oxidation? Even if you believe the numbers are real ... could it be that some joker used their race oils in a street car ... and let it sit around for months before changing the oil? Their race oils are not designed for long term corrosion protection and might produce just these kinds of numbers.
rolleyes.gif

I have performed 3 analysis using Red Line oil and despite a coolant leak, got very respectable results. My aluminum, for example, was VERY low. Others on this forum have similar experiences. Try doing a search in the Used Oil Analyses section.

--- Bror Jace

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back