Redline 85 Plus and UOA's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does Redlines' 85 plus Diesel fuel additive show up in UOA's at all, and if so, what are the trends ?
I've had great success using this at the clean dose in one of our vehicles, (4.2 litre turbo Nissan Patrol) and was wondering if there is a problem with it showing up adversely at the recommended maintenance dose in future UOA's.

We have been using a maintenance dose for a few months now, and the truck is about to commence an AR-X rinse phase, so the engine should be nicely cleaned out.

I would like to continue using the 85 Plus due to the continuing drop in diesel Sulphur levels, and the obvious problem of injector and chamber fouling this turbo Nissan engine has suffered in its 110 000km/70 000 miles. It's interesting to note that my direct injection Land Rover TD engine seemed to achieve little to no benefit from the clean and subsequent maintenance doses from the 85 Plus, apart from the initial performance boost during the clean dose, I'm assuming due to the increased cetane level.
After that tank was gone, it is performance and fuel economy is much as before, maybe a little more torquey off boost, and visible smoke appears to be reduced, but that is a very sujective observation.

Any thoughts/observations ?

Rick.

[ June 21, 2004, 02:13 AM: Message edited by: tdi-rick ]

I would expect little if any would show up in the oil. One of the ingredients in the 85+ is 2-ethyl,hexyl,nitrate(2EHN). This is a thermo unstable chemical, that breaks down giving the appearance of an increased ctane number because it ignites quicker than the diesel fuel.
From chatting with David at Red Line, I gather the injector/pump lube is an ash-less synthetic oil similar to 2 cycle oil. I would imagine that it would take a huge amount in the fuel to find its way into the oil.

As for the direct injection motor, the injectors are working at a higher pressure, and a finer mist of fuel is produced. It is more efficent than the old IDI injection method. As a result you may only be seeing a soot reduction. Keep in mind as the sulfur content goes down, the need to add lube for the pump/injectors goes up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back